Van Dyck History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Van Dyck family
The surname Van Dyck was first found in early documents. It is derived from the word "dyk" which means "dyke." The word "van" which often appears in Dutch names (including most of the variations of this name) is roughly equivalent to "by" or "at," indicating that the name refers to some feature of the terrain near the first bearer's home. Therefore, the first person to bear this name lived near a dyke.
Early History of the Van Dyck family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Dyck research. More information is included under the topic Early Van Dyck History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Dyck Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Van Dyk, Van Dijk, Van Dijck, Van Dyck, Van Dijken, Van Dyken, Dijkman, Dykman, Op en Dyke, Updike and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Dyck family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Floris van Dyck (c.1575-c.1651), a Dutch Golden Age still life painter; and Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599-1641), Flemish Baroque artist who became the leading court painter in England. He was the seventh child of Frans van Dyck, a wealthy Antwerp silk merchant and learned painted from an early age. Van Dyck worked in London for some months in 1621...
Another 72 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Van Dyck Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Van Dyck migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Dyck Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Dirck Jansen VanDyck, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664 
- Jacobus Fransen VanDyck, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664 
- Jan Jansen VanDyck, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664 
- Gregorius VanDyck, who landed in Delaware in 1643 
- Achias Janse Vandyck, who arrived in New Netherland in 1651
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Van Dyck (post 1700) ||+|
- Henry H. Van Dyck (1809-1888), American newspaper publisher, financier and politician
- Cornelius Van Alen Van Dyck M.D. (1818-1895), American missionary and translator of the Bible into Arabic
- Dr. Steve Van Dyck, Australian Senior Curator of vertebrates at Queensland Museum, in Brisbane, Queensland, awarded the 2008 Queensland Museum Medal for Research
- Jennifer Van Dyck (b. 1962), Scottish television, film, and stage actress
- Jeff van Dyck (b. 1969), Canadian BAFTA Award winning video game music composer
- Ernest van Dyck (1861-1923), Belgian dramatic tenor
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)