Van Der wick History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Van Der wick family
The surname Van Der wick was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Utrecht, a city and capital of the province of Utrecht. The ramparts of this ancient city were destroyed in 1830. The Domkerk (1254) is on the site of the original church of St. Willibrord in 720. In the crypt are the hearts of Conrad II (1039) and Henry V (1125) two German Emperors. The Museum is notable for its relics and artifacts. Its tumultuous history was strongly influenced by religious conflict. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Van Der wick family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Der wick research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1816, 1869, 1616, 1677, 1652, 1702 and 1652 are included under the topic Early Van Der wick History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Der wick Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wyck, Wycke, Wijk, Wyckes, Wycks, Wyckez, Wyckz, Wyckk, van Wyck, van Wick, Wicke, Weick, Wieck and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Der wick family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Thomas Wijck (also Thomas Wijk, or Thomas Wyck) (1616-1677), a Dutch painter; and his son, Jan Wyck (also Jan Wiyck, or Jan Wick) (1652-1702), a Dutch Baroque painter. He was "a distinguished Dutch painter of interiors, markets, and Italian seaports, was born at Haarlem on 29 Oct. 1652. He was a pupil of...
Migration of the Van Der wick family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Cornelis Barentse VanWyck, who arrived in New Netherland sometime between 1620 and 1664; Cornelis B. VanWyck, who came to New York in 1659; Cornelius Barentse VanWyck, who came to New York in 1660.