Van Der berg History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Van Der berg comes from the Old High German word "berg," which means "mountain." The first bearers of the name no doubt came from a mountain or high ground. The name is often found with the preposition "Van den," which mean "from the." In a low-lying, flat country like the Netherlands any area of higher ground was quite prestigious and as such, this was a popular and prestigious surname.
Early Origins of the Van Der berg family
The surname Van Der berg was first found in Holland, where it is thought to have existed since the 15th century.
Early History of the Van Der berg family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Der berg research. Another 27 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1664, 1709, 1748, 1755, 1799, and 1873 are included under the topic Early Van Der berg History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Der berg Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Berger, Bergen, Berg, Van Berg, Van Berger, Van Bergen, Van den Berger, Van den Berg, Van der Berg, Van den Bergh and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Der berg family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included the counts Van den Berghs, beginning in the 16th century; Johan van den Bergh (1664-1755), mayor of the...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Van Der berg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Der berg Ranking
In Netherlands, the name Van Der berg is the 16th most popular surname with an estimated 32,887 people with that name.  However, in South Africa, the name Van Der berg is ranked the 612nd most popular surname with an estimated 11,297 people with that name. 
Van Der berg migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Der berg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J Vanderberg, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- Epke Vanderberg, who landed in Iowa in 1887 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ https://forebears.io/south-africa/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)