Utterback History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Utterback has several possible origins, but they can all be traced back to the kingdom of Bavaria, located in the southern part of Germany. The name may be derived from a place name, such as "Usterbach," a town near the Bavarian city of Augsburg, or "Otterbach," the name of several German towns, and would in this case refer to someone who came from one of these places. Alternatively, the name may be derived from the German words "uter," meaning "coming from," and "Bach," meaning "stream." In this case, the name would have been originally borne by someone living close to a stream. Finally, the name may be derived from the personal name "Utters;" in this instance, the name would mean "son of Utters."
Early Origins of the Utterback family
The surname Utterback was first found in the town of Armorbach, where Erkinbertus dictus de Ottirbach, the first recorded bearer of the name, was living in 1298. Another early instance of the name dates back to 1323, when a butcher named Usterpach was residing in Augsburg.
Early History of the Utterback family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Utterback research. Another 133 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1298, 1323, and 1357 are included under the topic Early Utterback History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Utterback Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Utterback, Utterbach, Ottirbach, Usterpach, Otter, Otterbeeck, Otterbach and many more.
Early Notables of the Utterback family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Utterback Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Utterback is the 11,133rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Utterback migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Utterback Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Harman Utterback and his wife Elizabeth Heimbach, who emigrated from the Palatinate to Virginia with their two daughters, Elizabeth and Alice Catherine, in 1714
Contemporary Notables of the name Utterback (post 1700) +
- Sarah Utterback (b. 1982), American actress, best known for her role as Nurse Olivia Harper on the medical drama series Grey's Anatomy
- John Gregg Utterback (1872-1955), American politician, U.S. Representative from Maine
- Hubert Utterback (1880-1942), American politician and judge who served on the Iowa Supreme Court
- Camille Utterback (b. 1970), American interactive installation artist from Bloomington, Indiana
- Bill Utterback (1931-2010), American illustrator from Arlington Heights, Illinois
- Joe Utterback (b. 1944), American Jazz pianist
- Priscilla W Utterback (b. 1902), American lawyer, one of the earliest female lawyers in the USA
- Edgar M. Utterback, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate in primary for U.S. Representative from West Virginia 4th District, 1938 
- Clarence Utterback, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Isabella District, 1952 
- Bill Utterback, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for Texas State House of Representatives 45th District, 1996 
- ... (Another 5 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +