on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German, Spanish
Where did the German Urban family come from? What is the German Urban family crest and coat of arms? When did the Urban family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Urban family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Urban, Urrban, Urbban, Urbann, Urbaan, Urbane, Urbanes, Urbans, Urbanns, Urbaans, Erban, Irban, Erbane and many more.
First found in Austria, where the name Urban became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Urban research. Another 242 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1808, 1851, and 1878 are included under the topic Early Urban History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Urban Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Urban Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Augustus Urban, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752
- Johan Lewis Urban, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1791
Urban Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adam Urban, who settled in Philadelphia in 1819
- Johannes Urban, who landed in Texas in 1840-1850
- Franz Urban, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1845
- Andreas Urban and his wife Magdalena, who came to Galveston, Texas with their three sons in 1854
- Maria Urban, who landed in Texas in 1854
- Joseph Maria Urban (1872-1933), American architect and scene designer
- Matt Urban (1919-1995), American who was the most decorated soldier in U.S. military history, receiving 29 medals and awards for bravery during his 20 months of service in Europe during World War II
- Jerheme Urban (b. 1980), American professional football player
- Knut W. Urban (b. 1941), German physicist, co-winner of the 2011 Wolf Prize in Physics
- Keith Lionel Urban (b. 1967), New Zealand-born, Australian-raised country music singer
- Karl Urban, New Zealand actor
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
The Urban Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Urban Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 December 2014 at 12:16.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more