Ulm History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Ulm is a local name derived from Ulm, a city in southwest Germany. The city of Ulm dates from at least 854, and was probably settled much earlier than that.
Early Origins of the Ulm family
The surname Ulm was first found in Wuerttemburg and Baden, in the Swabian Alps, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of this region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. The name most probably has its origin in the mediaeval city of Ulm (mentioned as early as 854,) south-east of Stuttgart.
Early History of the Ulm family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ulm research. Another 280 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1140, 1273, 1363, 1613, 1622, 1659, and 1726 are included under the topic Early Ulm History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ulm Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ulm, Ulmer, Ullmer, Ulmers and others.
Early Notables of the Ulm family (pre 1700)
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ulm Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Ulm is the 16,304th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Ulm migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ulm Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Ulm, who landed in Mississippi in 1737 
- Margarete Ulm, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Catharina Ulm, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Martin Ulm, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752 
- Johanna Ulm, who arrived in America in 1753 
Ulm Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margart Ulm, aged 25, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1832 
- Christain Ulm, aged 3, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1832 
- Jacob Ulm, aged 25, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1832 
- J B Ulm, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- Friedrich Ulm, aged 27, who arrived in New York, NY in 1854 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Ulm (post 1700) +
- Ralph Ulm, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Kansas 1st District, 1944; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kansas, 1948 
- Stefan Ulm (b. 1975), German five-time gold and three-time silver medalist sprint canoer
- Helmut Ulm (1908-1975), German mathematician
- Charles Thomas Philippe Ulm (1898-1934), Australian pioneer aviator, best known for his partnership with Sir Charles Kingsford Smith, and was Kingsford Smith's copilot on many of his famous flights, including the 1928 first crossing of the Pacific in the Southern Cross
- David Ulm (b. 1984), French football player
- Ulm Stefan (b. 1975), German sprint canoer
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html