on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Tunnicliffe family come from? What is the English Tunnicliffe family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tunnicliffe family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tunnicliffe family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dunnicliffe, Donnicliffe, Dunicliffe, Topcliffe, Tunnicliffe, Tunicliffe, Tunycliffe, Tunnacliffe, Tunacliffe, Tunicliffe, Tonacliffe, Donacliffe, Onacliffe, D'Onacliffe, Donacliffe, Doncliffe, Tunnelcliffe, Tunlecliff, Tunnicliff and many more.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1246 when Henry Tunwaleclif held estates in the parish of Rochdale.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tunnicliffe research. Another 175 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1603, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Tunnicliffe History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tunnicliffe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tunnicliffe Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Diana Tunnicliffe, English convict from Staffordshire, who was transported aboard the "Anna Maria" on October 4, 1851, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
Tunnicliffe Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Tunnicliffe, aged 33, a farmer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Hannah Tunnicliffe, aged 32, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Henry John Tunnicliffe, aged 14, a labourer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Sarah Tunnicliffe, aged 10, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Thomas Tunnicliffe, aged 8, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Anna Tunnicliffe (b. 1982), American Olympic sailor
- John Tunnicliffe (1866-1948), English cricketer
- Jayne Tunnicliffe (b. 1967), English actress
- James Tunnicliffe (b. 1989), English footballer
- Colin Tunnicliffe (b. 1951), English cricketer
- Billy Tunnicliffe (1920-1997), English footballer
- Charles Frederick Tunnicliffe (1901-1979), English bird artist
- Donna Tunnicliffe (b. 1970), Australian Psychologist
- Denis Tunnicliffe CBE (b. 1943), Baron Tunnicliffe, British pilot and railwayman
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
The Tunnicliffe Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tunnicliffe Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2015 at 12:49.
on orders of $85 or more