100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tunnicliffe family come from? What is the English Tunnicliffe family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tunnicliffe family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tunnicliffe family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dunnicliffe, Donnicliffe, Dunicliffe, Topcliffe, Tunnicliffe, Tunicliffe, Tunycliffe, Tunnacliffe, Tunacliffe, Tunicliffe, Tonacliffe, Donacliffe, Onacliffe, D'Onacliffe, Donacliffe, Doncliffe, Tunnelcliffe, Tunlecliff, Tunnicliff and many more.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1246 when Henry Tunwaleclif held estates in the parish of Rochdale.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tunnicliffe research. Another 175 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1603, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Tunnicliffe History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tunnicliffe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tunnicliffe Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Diana Tunnicliffe, English convict from Staffordshire, who was transported aboard the "Anna Maria" on October 4, 1851, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
Tunnicliffe Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Tunnicliffe, aged 33, a farmer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Hannah Tunnicliffe, aged 32, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Henry John Tunnicliffe, aged 14, a labourer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Sarah Tunnicliffe, aged 10, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Thomas Tunnicliffe, aged 8, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Clifford" in 1842
- Anna Tunnicliffe (b. 1982), American Olympic sailor
- Charles Frederick Tunnicliffe (1901-1979), English bird artist
- Billy Tunnicliffe (1920-1997), English footballer
- Colin Tunnicliffe (b. 1951), English cricketer
- James Tunnicliffe (b. 1989), English footballer
- Jayne Tunnicliffe (b. 1967), English actress
- John Tunnicliffe (1866-1948), English cricketer
- Denis Tunnicliffe CBE (b. 1943), Baron Tunnicliffe, British pilot and railwayman
- Donna Tunnicliffe (b. 1970), Australian Psychologist
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Tunnicliffe Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tunnicliffe Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2015 at 12:49.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!