Trowsdale History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Trowsdale family
The surname Trowsdale was first found in the North Riding of Yorkshire at Troutsdale, a township in the parish of Brompton, near Scarborough.   Literally, the place name means "trout pool."  While the township comprises about 1000 acres, the populations has always been small: only 96 inhabitants in the late 1800's.  Today known as Broxa-cum-Troutsdale, according to the 2001 UK census, the parish had a population of 44.
Interestingly, Hotten's Lists of Emigrants includes a listing for Phines Trusedell (aged 18 years) who embarked for the Barbadoes in 1635. "Probably Phineas was the parent of the American Trowsdales, Trousdales, or Truesdales. The different forms are still chiefly found, so far as England is concerned, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, in the neighbourhood of Troutsdale." 
Early History of the Trowsdale family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Trowsdale research. Another 129 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1097, 1190, 1484, 1550, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Trowsdale History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Trowsdale Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Trewsdale, Trewdale, Trowsdale, Trowdale, Trowesdale, Trewesdale, Truesdale, Truedale, Trudell, Trudall, Trusdale, Trusdall, Trussdell and many more.
Early Notables of the Trowsdale family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Trowsdale Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Trowsdale migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Trowsdale Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joseph Trowsdale, who landed in Prince Edward Island in 1817
Contemporary Notables of the name Trowsdale (post 1700) +
- Laughlin Trowsdale, American actor, known for Carter(2019)
- Silas Trowsdale, Canadian Second Unit director
- Sam Trowsdale, New Zealand researcher at the University of Auckland
- John Trowsdale, British researcher in Pathology at the University of Cambridge
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print