on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Belgium, Scottish
Where did the Belgium Troup family come from? What is the Belgium Troup family crest and coat of arms? When did the Troup family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Troup family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stroop, Stroup, Strope, Stroopere, Struppi and others.
First found in Belgium, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in East Flanders, a province in Belgium. Within this province the notable towns are Ghent, the capital city, St Nicolas, Alost, Termonde and Oudenarde. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Troup research. Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the year 1779 is included under the topic Early Troup History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Troup Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Troup Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charlotta Troup, who arrived in America in 1749
- George Troup, who settled in Alabama in 1781
Troup Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andreas Troup, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1835
- John Troup, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1856
- Jacob Troup, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1865
Troup Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Alexr Troup, who settled in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1823
Troup Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Eliza Troup, aged 24, a housemaid, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Queen" in 1883
- Robyn Troup (b. 1988), American singer
- Robert Troup (1756-1832), American Revolutionary War officer, New York State Judge
- George Michael Troup (1780-1856), American politician, Governor of Georgia (1823-1827)
- Bobby Troup (1918-1999), American actor, jazz pianist and songwriter
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Troup Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Troup Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 October 2013 at 11:50.
on orders of $85 or more