The distinguished surname Trader comes from Germany
, and is of two different origins. Firstly, the name is derived from the Middle High German word "dregher," meaning "peddler or porter." In this instance, the name would have been originally borne by a traveling merchant. Alternatively, the name is derived from the Low German word "trage," meaning "lazy, sulky." In this instance, the name would have been bestowed as a nickname
on one who then passed it to his descendents as a hereditary surname.
Early Origins of the Trader family
The surname Trader was first found in Swabia and Saxony
, its two regions of origin. The earliest recorded bearer of the name in Swabia was Walther Trager, who lived in Urach in the year 1383. The name was first recorded in Saxony
in 1370, when Conrad Traghe was living in Hanover in 1370.
Early History of the Trader family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Trader research.Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1370, 1383, 1385, 1419, 1484, 1686, and 1749 are included under the topic Early Trader History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Trader Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Trage, Trager, Drage, Drager, Trader, Träger, Träge, Dräge, Dräger, Trahge, Trahger, Drahge and many more.
Early Notables of the Trader family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Trader Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Trader family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Trader Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- August Trader, who arrived in Baltimore in 1895
- Gisse Trader, aged 51, who immigrated to the United States, in 1896
Trader Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Effie L. Trader, who settled in America, in 1905
- George Henry Trader, aged 40, who landed in America from London, in 1905
- Anna Trader, aged 44, who landed in America, in 1908
- Royal Trader, aged 31, who landed in America, in 1911
- Gustave Trader, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Trader (post 1700)
- Larry J. Trader (b. 1963), Canadian retired NHL ice hockey defenceman
Trader Family Crest Products