Toth History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Toth surname is thought to be independently derived from the Middle High German words "toto," meaning "death," or "tote," meaning "godfather." In either instance, the name was probably a nickname, which later became a hereditary surname.
Early Origins of the Toth family
The surname Toth was first found in Germany, where the name Toth came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries, most notably in Sweden. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status.
Early History of the Toth family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Toth research. Another 67 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1652 is included under the topic Early Toth History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Toth Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Toth, Tott, Todt and others.
Early Notables of the Toth family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Toth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Toth is the 2,231st most popular surname with an estimated 14,922 people with that name. 
Toth migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Toth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ferdinand Toth, who settled in Indiana in 1852
- Ferdinand Toth, who landed in Indiana in 1852 
- George Toth, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1893 
- John Toth, who landed in New York, NY in 1893 
- George Toth, who arrived in Galveston, Texas in 1893
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Toth (post 1700) +
- Peter Wolf Toth (b. 1947), Hungarian-born, American sculptor
- Kevin Toth (b. 1967), former American shot put athlete
- Taylor Toth (b. 1988), American figure skater
- André de Toth (1912-2002), Hungarian-American filmmaker
- Andor John Toth (1925-2006), American soloist, concert artist, conductor and educator
- Paul Toth (1935-1999), American Major League Baseball player
- Alex Toth (1928-2006), American cartoonist
- Sándor Tóth (1939-2019), Hungarian poet and journalist
- József Tóth (1929-2017), Hungarian footballer, position forward, who played in the 1954 FIFA World Cup
- Peter Toth (1882-1967), Hungarian two time Olympic gold medalist for fencing at 1908 and 1912 games
- ... (Another 19 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Historic Events for the Toth family +
- Mr. Joseph Toth (b. 1879), Hungarian coal miner who was in mine 8 at the Monongah mine on 6th December 1907 when it exploded and collapsed; he died 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Monongah Mining Disaster retrieved on 8th August 2021. (Retrieved fromhttps://usminedisasters.miningquiz.com/saxsewell/monongah.htm).