Early Origins of the Tosi family
The surname Tosi was first found in Pisa a town in Tuscany
, capital of the province of Pisa. Historically, Pisa in it's inter city war in 1003 with Lucca was forced into building its own navy. Then, under threat from the Saracens from Sicily
, it found itself the aggressor against Calabria, Sicily
and even in Africa. In 1062 their ships returned from Palermo laden with spoil. But with the Norman Conquest
they became less profitable. They continued considerable rivalry with Florence and Genoa. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Tosi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tosi research.Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1619, 1693, 1653 and 1732 are included under the topic Early Tosi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tosi Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Tosi, Tosoni, Tous, Toso, Tonso, Toselli, Tosetti, Tosini, Tosatti and many more.
Early Notables of the Tosi family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tosi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Tosi family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tosi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Annibale Tosi, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Lucca, in 1901
- Albina Tosi, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States from Modena, Italy, in 1909
- Alessandro Tosi, aged 43, who landed in America from Roma, Italy, in 1909
- Adele Tosi, aged 34, who settled in America from Novarn, Italy, in 1912
- Anna Tosi, aged 6, who landed in America from Italy, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Tosi (post 1700)
- Franco Tosi, Italian engineer
- Giuseppe Tosi (b. 1916), Italian athlete
- Noël Tosi (b. 1959), French football coach and former player
- Flavio Tosi, member of the Liga Veneta-Lega Nord from Verona
Tosi Family Crest Products