Throughout history, very few Irish surnames have exclusively maintained their original forms. Before being translated into English, Toolan appeared as O Tuathail, which is derived from "tuathal," which means "people mighty."
Early Origins of the Toolan family
The surname Toolan was first found in County Kildare
(Irish:Cill Dara), ancient homeland of the Kildare
based Uí Dúnlainge (Kings of Leinster), located in the Province of Leinster
, seated at O'Toole's Castle, where they were descended from Tuathal, King of Leinster
who died in 950 A.D.
Early History of the Toolan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Toolan research.Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1590, 1128, 1180, 1225, 1327, 1670 and 1722 are included under the topic Early Toolan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Toolan Spelling Variations
Irish names were rarely spelled consistently in the Middle Ages. Spelling variations
of the name Toolan dating from that time include Toole, Tool, O'Toole, O'Tool, Tooley, Toile and many more.
Early Notables of the Toolan family (pre 1700)
Prominent amongst the family at this time was St. Laurence O'Toole; Lorcán Ua Tuathail, also known as St Laurence O'Toole, (1128-1180), Archbishop of Dublin
, canonized in 1225 by Pope Honorius III; and Adam Dubh Ó Tuathail, died 1327... Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Toolan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Toolan family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Toolan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Mr. Michael Toolan, aged 21 who immigrated to Canada, arriving at the Grosse Isle Quarantine Station in Quebec aboard the ship "James Moran" departing from the port of Liverpool, England but died on Grosse Isle in July 1847 CITATION[CLOSE]
Charbonneau, André, and Doris Drolet-Dubé. A Register of Deceased Persons at Sea and on Grosse Île in 1847. The Minister of Canadian Heritage, 1997. ISBN: 0-660-198/1-1997E (p. 58)
Contemporary Notables of the name Toolan (post 1700)
- Rebecca Toolan, American television actress best known for playing Teena Mulder, Fox Mulder's mother, on The X-Files
- Eoin Toolan (b. 1982), Irish professional rugby union football coach
- John A. Toolan Jr. (b. 1954), retired United States Marine Corps lieutenant general,Commanding General, United States Marine Corps Forces, Pacific
Toolan Family Crest Products
- ^ Charbonneau, André, and Doris Drolet-Dubé. A Register of Deceased Persons at Sea and on Grosse Île in 1847. The Minister of Canadian Heritage, 1997. ISBN: 0-660-198/1-1997E (p. 58)