Tonjes History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Tonjes originated as a short form of the Roman name Antonius (the English Anthony.) It is the name of two major Christian saints, St. Anthony (ca.250-350,) who was the father of Christian monasticism, and Anthony of Padua (1195-1231), the Franciscan monk, who became the patron saint of Padua and Portugal. In granting their children holy names, medieval parents sought to reaffirm their Christian beliefs and to secure protection from the namesake. The name Tönsing is a Low German diminutive of the name Antonius, and Tönnies is a short form, as in Tönnies Alberdes, recorded in Lippe in 1571. Other German variants include Don, Ton, Thon and Dohn. The surname Tonjes, thus, comes about as a patronymic, a surname derived from the personal name of the father.
Early Origins of the Tonjes family
The surname Tonjes was first found in Westphalia and the Lower Rhineland, where the name Tonjes emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.The earliest mentions of the surname are Heinz Ton, who was recorded in Immenstaad in 1423, and Johann Tonsing, who was recorded in the area of Osnabröck in 1649.
Early History of the Tonjes family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tonjes research. Another 59 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tonjes History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tonjes Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tönnies, Tönies, Töns, Tönniges, Toenniges, Tuns, Tönsing, Tönsen, Tönnsen, Tönjes, Tönsmann, Tönsmeyer, Tönnissen, Thon, Thons, Thonissen and many more.
Early Notables of the Tonjes family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Tonjes Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tonjes migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tonjes Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Carl Tonjes, who landed in North America in 1832-1849 
- Marie Tonjes, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849 
- Cath Tonjes, who arrived in Missouri in 1836 
- Jacob Rudolph Tonjes, who arrived in America in 1843 
- Joh W Tonjes, who landed in America in 1845 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)