Tichenor History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Tichenor family
The surname Tichenor was first found in Sussex where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when this distinguished family held estates.
Early History of the Tichenor family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tichenor research. Another 76 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1660, 1707 and 1662 are included under the topic Early Tichenor History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tichenor Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tichenor, Ticknor, Titchner, Tiknor, Tikner, Titchener, Tycknor, Tyckner, Tytchener and many more.
Early Notables of the Tichenor family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include John Tutchin (c.1660-1707), a radical Whig controversialist and gadfly English journalist. He was probably born in Hampshire or the Isle of Wight, but he claimed "that he was born a freeman of the city of...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tichenor Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Tichenor is the 10,286th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Tichenor migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tichenor Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Martin Tichenor, who settled in New Haven, CT in 1644
Tichenor Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Tichenor, who arrived in New York in 1838
- Stephen W. Tichenor, who settled in Galveston, TX in 1839
- H L Tichenor, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 
Contemporary Notables of the name Tichenor (post 1700) +
- Harold Tichenor (b. 1946), American-born, Canadian multi-award winning film producer and writer
- Todd Frederick Tichenor (b. 1976), American Major League Baseball umpire
- Dylan Tichenor (b. 1968), American Academy Award and Satellite Award nominated film editor
- Isaac Tichenor (1754-1838), American politician, 3rd and 5th Governor of Vermont and United States Senator
- Dr. George Humphrey Tichenor (1837-1923), American surgeon, a pioneer in the use of antiseptics
- Trebor Jay Tichenor (1940-2014), recognized authority on Scott Joplin and the ragtime era
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)