on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Thieme was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Gelderland, (Guelders) an ancient province surrounding the town of Gelder. To the south of Friesland this province was originally in two parts north and south of the Rhine. In addition, the province is sub-divided into four towns, or quarters, Nijmegan, Arnhem, Zutphen and Roermond, each having unique rights and customs. Apeldoorn is a city of note. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Thiem, Thieme, van Thieme, van Thiem, Teem, Teeme, Tieme, Theim and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thieme research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1631 and 1668 are included under the topic Early Thieme History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Thieme Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thieme Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Auguste Thieme, who arrived in Texas in 1846
- Christian F. Thieme, who settled in Philadelphia in 1847
- Otto K Thieme, who arrived in Iowa in 1850
- Richard Thieme, who landed in New York, NY in 1850
- August Thieme, who settled in Georgia in 1859
- Robert Bunger Thieme Jr. (1918-2009), American pastor of Berachah Church, a nondenominational Christian church in Houston, Texas, from 1950-2003
- Anthony Thieme (1888-1954), Dutch-born, American landscape and marine painter
- Allan R Thieme (b. 1937), American inventor of the Amigo, the first power operated vehicle/scooter for people with walking disabilities in 1968
- Albert H. Thieme, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Kings County 13th District, 1909
- Richard Thieme (b. 1944), American business consultant, author, media commentator and speaker
- Marianne Thieme (b. 1972), Dutch animal rights activist and chairwoman of the Party for the Animals
- Georg Thieme, German founder of Thieme Medical Publishers, a German medical and science publisher in 1886
- Paul Thieme (1905-2001), German Indologist and scholar of Vedic Sanskrit, awarded the Kyoto Prize in Arts and Philosophy in 1988
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Thieme Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Thieme Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 October 2015 at 14:00.
on orders of $85 or more