on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Theiss family come from? What is the German Theiss family crest and coat of arms? When did the Theiss family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Theiss family history?The name Theiss derives from the German personal name Matthias which in turn derives from the apostle Matthaeus (English Matthew). Versions of this name were very popular in the Middle Ages throughout Christian Europe.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Theis, Theisen, Thein, Theitz, Theisz, Theisman and others.
First found in Germany, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Theiss research. Another 208 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1295, 1596, 1790, 1804, and 1869 are included under the topic Early Theiss History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Theiss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Theiss Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Matthias Theiss, who landed in America in 1709
- Johann Matheus Theiss, who landed in America in 1730
- Matheis Theiss, who arrived in America in 1738
- Nickel Theiss, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Michel Theiss, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1748
Theiss Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johannes Theiss, who landed in America in 1832
- Katarina Theiss, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Catarina Theiss, who arrived in Texas in 1846
- Johann Theiss, who arrived in North America in 1847
- Maria Karoline Theiss, who landed in Albany, NY in 1847
- Brooke Theiss (b. 1969), American actress
- William Ware Theiss (1930-1992), American costume designer, nominated for the Academy Award for Costume Design three times, best known for his work on the Star Trek uniforms
- Duane Charles Theiss (b. 1953), former American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Mike Theiss (b. 1978), American National Geographic photographer, on air talent, video producer and professional storm chaser
- Klaus Theiss (b. 1963), former professional German footballer
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Theiss Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Theiss Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 April 2014 at 14:48.
on orders of $85 or more