on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Theiss derives from the German personal name Matthias which in turn derives from the apostle Matthaeus (English Matthew). Versions of this name were very popular in the Middle Ages throughout Christian Europe.
The surname Theiss was first found in Germany
, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Theis, Theisen, Thein, Theitz, Theisz, Theisman and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Theiss research. Another 208 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1295, 1596, 1790, 1804, and 1869 are included under the topic Early Theiss History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Theiss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Theiss Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Matthias Theiss, who landed in America in 1709
- Johann Matheus Theiss, who landed in America in 1730
- Matheis Theiss, who arrived in America in 1738
- Nickel Theiss, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Michel Theiss, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1748
Theiss Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johannes Theiss, who landed in America in 1832
- Katarina Theiss, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Catarina Theiss, who arrived in Texas in 1846
- Johann Theiss, who arrived in North America in 1847
- Maria Karoline Theiss, who landed in Albany, NY in 1847
- Mike Theiss (b. 1978), American National Geographic photographer, on air talent, video producer and professional storm chaser
- Duane Charles Theiss (b. 1953), former American Major League Baseball pitcher
- William Ware Theiss (1930-1992), American costume designer, nominated for the Academy Award for Costume Design three times, best known for his work on the Star Trek uniforms
- Brooke Theiss (b. 1969), American actress
- Joe C. Theiss, American politician, Mayor of New Martinsville, West Virginia, 1977-79
- Edna Theiss, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1948; Candidate for Presidential Elector for California, 1956
- Klaus Theiss (b. 1963), former professional German footballer
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
The Theiss Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Theiss Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 April 2016 at 12:17.
on orders of $85 or more