on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Theiss family come from? What is the German Theiss family crest and coat of arms? When did the Theiss family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Theiss family history?The name Theiss derives from the German personal name Matthias which in turn derives from the apostle Matthaeus (English Matthew). Versions of this name were very popular in the Middle Ages throughout Christian Europe.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Theis, Theisen, Thein, Theitz, Theisz, Theisman and others.
First found in Germany, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Theiss research. Another 208 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1295, 1596, 1790, 1804, and 1869 are included under the topic Early Theiss History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Theiss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Theiss Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Matthias Theiss, who landed in America in 1709
- Johann Matheus Theiss, who landed in America in 1730
- Matheis Theiss, who arrived in America in 1738
- Nickel Theiss, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Michel Theiss, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1748
Theiss Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johannes Theiss, who landed in America in 1832
- Katarina Theiss, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Catarina Theiss, who arrived in Texas in 1846
- Johann Theiss, who arrived in North America in 1847
- Maria Karoline Theiss, who landed in Albany, NY in 1847
- Brooke Theiss (b. 1969), American actress
- William Ware Theiss (1930-1992), American costume designer, nominated for the Academy Award for Costume Design three times, best known for his work on the Star Trek uniforms
- Duane Charles Theiss (b. 1953), former American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Mike Theiss (b. 1978), American National Geographic photographer, on air talent, video producer and professional storm chaser
- Klaus Theiss (b. 1963), former professional German footballer
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
The Theiss Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Theiss Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 April 2014 at 14:48.
on orders of $85 or more