Tevis History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Tevis is most likely derived from the Irish Gaelic O Teibhlin; however, there are some scholars, who think that this name came from O Seibhleain, and is simply a variant of the name Shevlin.
Early Origins of the Tevis family
The surname Tevis was first found in County Cavan, and the north of County Meath.
Early History of the Tevis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tevis research. More information is included under the topic Early Tevis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tevis Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tevlin, O'Tevlin, Tevelin and others.
Early Notables of the Tevis family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Tevis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Tevis is the 15,641st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Tevis migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tevis Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Tevis, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752-1753 
Contemporary Notables of the name Tevis (post 1700) +
- Paul Tevis, American Ennie-award winning podcaster
- Lloyd Tevis (1824-1899), American banker and capitalist, President of Wells Fargo & Company from 1872 to 1892
- Peter Tevis (1937-2006), American folk singer
- Walter Stone Tevis (1928-1984), American novelist and short story writer, three of his novels were adapted into major films: The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)