Telles History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Telles comes from the personal name Tello derived from the Latin "tellus" meaning "land" or "earth."
Early Origins of the Telles family
The surname Telles was first found in Galicia, in the northwest corner of Spain.
Early History of the Telles family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Telles research. Another 39 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1337, 1370, 1583 and 1648 are included under the topic Early Telles History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Telles Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tellez, Talles, Tello, Tell, Tel, Telo, Teles and others.
Early Notables of the Telles family (pre 1700)
Con la Reconquista guerra con la que los cristianos bajo las órdenes del rey Fernando y la reina Isabel reconquistaron a España y expulsaron a los musulmanes invasores en el año 1492. Dentro de estos nombres de familias se han destacado, por ejemplo, Tello of Castile (1337-1370), born in Seville, the seventh of the ten illegitimate children of Alfonso...
Another 58 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Telles Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Telles is the 7,568th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Telles migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Telles Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alonso Telles, who arrived in New Spain in 1851 
- Jose Telles, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1878 
Contemporary Notables of the name Telles (post 1700) +
- Raymond L. Telles Jr. (b. 1915), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Costa Rica, 1961-67
- Lucy Parker Telles (1870-1955), Native American basket weaver
- Raymond L. Telles Jr. (1915-2013), the first Mexican-American Mayor of a major American city, El Paso, Texas (1957-1961), United States Ambassador to Costa Rica (1961-1967)
- Gonçalo Pereira Ribeiro Telles (1922-2020), Portuguese politician and landscape architect
- Marcel Hermann Telles (b. 1950), Brazilian businessman, board member of AB InBev; his estimated fortune is 12.1 billion
- António da Cunha Telles (b. 1935), Portuguese film director and producer
- Sylvia Telles (1934-1966), Brazilian jazz samba and bossa nova singer of the 1950s and 1960s
- Lygia Fagundes Telles (b. 1923), Brazilian novelist and short-story writer
- Alex Nicolao Telles (b. 1992), Brazilian professional footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)