100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Scottish, Spanish
Where did the Scottish Telles family come from? What is the Scottish Telles family crest and coat of arms? When did the Telles family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Telles family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Telfer, Talfer, Telford, Telpher, Talifero, Tailyefer, Telfair and many more.
First found in Huntingdon, where they were descended from Taillefer of Normandy, jester to King William, Duke of Normandy, who asked the Duke for a favor at Hastings. Telfer put his horse to the gallop charging before all the rest to the amazement of the English soldiers. He was granted lands in Huntingdon, but was invited by David, Earl of Huntingdon, later to be King of Scotland, to attend him in Scotland and was granted lands in Lanarkshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Telles research. Another 311 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1500, 1643, and 1683 are included under the topic Early Telles History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Telles Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Telles family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 91 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Telles Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alonso Telles, who arrived in New Spain in 1851
- Jose Telles, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1878
- Lucy Parker Telles (1870-1955), Native American basket weaver
- Raymond L. Telles Jr. (1915-2013), the first Mexican-American Mayor of a major American city, El Paso, Texas (1957-1961), United States Ambassador to Costa Rica (1961-1967)
- António da Cunha Telles (b. 1935), Portuguese film director and producer
- Marcel Hermann Telles (b. 1950), Brazilian businessman, board member of AB InBev; his estimated fortune is $12.1 billion
- Sylvia Telles (1934-1966), Brazilian jazz samba and bossa nova singer of the 1950s and 1960s
- Lygia Fagundes Telles (b. 1923), Brazilian novelist and short-story writer
- Alex Nicolao Telles (b. 1992), Brazilian professional footballer
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
The Telles Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Telles Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 March 2015 at 08:28.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!