Tejera History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Tejera comes from Spain, a country rich in culture and history. The original bearer of the name Tejera, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The name Tejada is the name of various villages and towns in the province of Burgos and in Huelva. This place-name is derived from the Spanish word teja, which means roof tile or lime tree.
Early Origins of the Tejera family
The surname Tejera was first found in Castile, in north central Spain.
Early History of the Tejera family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tejera research. Another 122 words (9 lines of text) covering the year 1175 is included under the topic Early Tejera History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tejera Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tejada, de Tejada, Tejeda, de Tejeda, Tejado, Tejero, Tejera, Tejadillo, de Tejadillo, Tejería, Tejeria, Tejerina, Teja, de la Teja, Tejas, Texas, Tejo, Tejón, Tejon, Texada, Texado, Texero, Texera, Texeda, Tajada, de Tajada, Tajado, Tajero, Tajera and many more.
Early Notables of the Tejera family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Tejera Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tejera migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tejera Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bentora Tejera, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- Bentora Tejera, who landed in Texas in 1835 
- Manuel Tejera, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1880 
- Antonio Tejera, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1890 
Contemporary Notables of the name Tejera (post 1700) +
- Felipe Tejera, Venezuelan writer
- Emiliano Tejera, Dominican historian
- Diego Vicente Tejera, Cuban poet
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)