The distinguished surname Teixeira comes from Spain
, a country rich in culture and history. The original bearer of the name Teixeira, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain
. In Spain, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The name Tejada is the name of various villages and towns in the province of Burgos and in Huelva. This place-name is derived from the Spanish word teja, which means roof tile or lime tree.
Early Origins of the Teixeira family
The surname Teixeira was first found in Castile
, in north central Spain.
Early History of the Teixeira family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Teixeira research.Another 427 words (30 lines of text) covering the year 1175 is included under the topic Early Teixeira History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Teixeira Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Tejada, de Tejada, Tejeda, de Tejeda, Tejado, Tejero, Tejera, Tejadillo, de Tejadillo, Tejería, Tejeria, Tejerina, Teja, de la Teja, Tejas, Texas, Tejo, Tejón, Tejon, Texada, Texado, Texero, Texera, Texeda, Tajada, de Tajada, Tajado, Tajero, Tajera and many more.
Early Notables of the Teixeira family (pre 1700)
Another 22 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Teixeira Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Teixeira family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Early migrants to the New World included Esteban de Tejada, who sailed to America in 1512; Cristóbal Tejero sailed to America in 1513; Alonso Tejero de la Serradilla sailed to America in 1514.
Contemporary Notables of the name Teixeira (post 1700)
- Pedro Teixeira, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 2008
- Mark Charles Teixeira (b. 1980), American former Major League Baseball first baseman who played from 2003 to 2016
- John Teixeira da Conceição (b. 1986), better known as John Teixeira, a Brazilian mixed martial artist currently competing in Bellator's featherweight division
- Ricardo Terra Teixeira (b. 1947), former president of the Brazilian Football Confederation
- Filipe Andrade Teixeira (b. 1980), Portuguese professional footballer
- Marlon Luiz Teixeira (b. 1991), Brazilian model
- Glover Lucas Teixeira (b. 1979), Brazilian mixed martial artist, former member of the Brazilian National Wrestling Team
- João Carlos Vilaça Teixeira (b. 1993), Portuguese footballer
- Alex Teixeira Santos (b. 1990), Brazilian footballer
- Pedro Teixeira (1575-1640), Portuguese soldier