on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
This Surname was created from the Upper German personal name Dietrich, which is in turn derived from the elements "Diet," meaning "nation or people," and "her," meaning "army."
The surname Teeter was first found in Pomerania, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal
System and the nation. The five sons Peter Deterde (also spelt Dithers) were granted the feudal
property of Grapow by the Duke Bolislav in 1514.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dieter, Deiter, Dieters, Deiters, Dietherr, Deeter, Deter, Deters, Teter, Teters, Dieterlen, Dietherle, Dietert and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Teeter research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1412, 1450, and 1463 are included under the topic Early Teeter History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 22 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Teeter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Christian Dieter, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1856; Georg Dieter arrived in Philadelphia in 1729; Hendrick Dieter settled in New York state in 1744.
- Michael Lee "Mike" Teeter (b. 1967), former professional American NFL football defensive lineman
- Lawrence Teeter (1949-2005), American lawyer, best known for defending Sirhan Sirhan, the man convicted of assassinating Robert F. Kennedy
- Robert M. Teeter (1939-2004), American Republican pollster and political campaign strategist
- Karl van Duyn Teeter (1929-2007), American ling Uist who developed Teeter's law
- Lara Teeter (b. 1955), American dancer, actor, singer, theatre director and college professor
- Willis L. Teeter, American co-founder of Harris Teeter, a chain of supermarkets in Matthews, North Carolina in 1936
- Chronicles of the Mountz-Teeters and Allied Families by Margaret Mountz Carroll.
- Teter Descendants of Hans Jorg and Maria Dieter by Eva A.Teter Winfield.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
The Teeter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Teeter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 April 2015 at 12:05.
on orders of $85 or more