Teeter History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
This Surname was created from the Upper German personal name Dietrich, which is in turn derived from the elements "Diet," meaning "nation or people," and "her," meaning "army."
Early Origins of the Teeter family
The surname Teeter was first found in Pomerania, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation. The five sons Peter Deterde (also spelt Dithers) were granted the feudal property of Grapow by the Duke Bolislav in 1514.
Early History of the Teeter family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Teeter research. Another 94 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1412, 1450, and 1463 are included under the topic Early Teeter History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Teeter Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dieter, Deiter, Dieters, Deiters, Dietherr, Deeter, Deter, Deters, Teter, Teters, Dieterlen, Dietherle, Dietert and many more.
Early Notables of the Teeter family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Teeter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Teeter family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Christian Dieter, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1856; Georg Dieter arrived in Philadelphia in 1729; Hendrick Dieter settled in New York state in 1744.
Contemporary Notables of the name Teeter (post 1700) +
- Howard M. Teeter (1907-1998), American Republican politician, Mayor of Coldwater, Michigan, 1946-48; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1964
- Michael Lee "Mike" Teeter (b. 1967), former professional American NFL football defensive lineman
- Lawrence Teeter (1949-2005), American lawyer, best known for defending Sirhan Sirhan, the man convicted of assassinating Robert F. Kennedy
- Robert M. Teeter (1939-2004), American Republican pollster and political campaign strategist
- Karl van Duyn Teeter (1929-2007), American linguist who developed Teeter's law
- Lara Teeter (b. 1955), American dancer, actor, singer, theatre director and college professor
- Willis L. Teeter, American co-founder of Harris Teeter, a chain of supermarkets in Matthews, North Carolina in 1936
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Teeter +
- 3829 "Chronicles of the Mountz-Teeters and Allied Families" by Margaret Mountz Carroll, "Teter Descendants of Hans Jorg and Maria Dieter" by Eva A.Teter Winfield.