Tedesco History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Tedesco surname comes from the Italian word "tedesco," meaning "German," from the Old High German word "diutisc." As such, the name meant "one of Germany descent." It was also a Jewish name in Italy, given to or taken by Ashkenazic Jews in Italy. The name Tedeschi is the plural form of Tedesco.
Early Origins of the Tedesco family
The surname Tedesco was first found in Sicily (Italian: Sicilia), the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea where someone of the name of Cau is said to have come to Italy with the House of Hohenstaufen Dynasty from Swabia (in Germany,) and served under Emperor Henry VI (Arrigo VI of Svevia,) King of Sicily from 1194 to 1197.
Early History of the Tedesco family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tedesco research. Another 59 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1434, 1440, 1573, 1616, 1666, and 1674 are included under the topic Early Tedesco History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tedesco Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tedisco, Todeschi, Todesco, Tedeschi and others.
Early Notables of the Tedesco family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this surname in early times was Riccardo Tedesco, who was granted a lordship of castles in Palermo and Santo Basilio; as well as a Nicolo Tedesco, who was Archbishop of Palermo (1434-1440)...
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tedesco Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tedesco migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tedesco Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alesfandro Tedesco, aged 78, who settled in America from Salerino, Italy, in 1906
- Agozio Tedesco, aged 21, who landed in America from Giardovalle, Italy, in 1907
- Alfonsa Tedesco, aged 3, who immigrated to the United States from Nocera Inferiori, Italy, in 1909
- Agazio Tedesco, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States from Guardavalle, Italy, in 1911
- Alfonza Tedesco, aged 17, who immigrated to the United States from Girgente, Sicily, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Tedesco (post 1700) +
- Ted Tedesco, American politician, Mayor of Ames, Iowa, 1998-2005
- Samuel J. Tedesco, American Democrat politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bridgeport; Elected 1940, 1948; Lieutenant Governor of Connecticut, 1963-66; Superior Court Judge in Connecticut, 1966
- James J. III Tedesco, American politician, Mayor of Paramus, New Jersey, 2007
- James Tedesco, American politician, Burgess of Old Forge, Pennsylvania, 1937
- Evelyn Tedesco, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Connecticut State Constitutional Convention 4th District, 1965
- Francis J. Tedesco, American physician, faculty member of the Medical College of Georgia (1978-2001), President of the College (1988-2001)
- Tommy Tedesco (1930-1997), American guitarist, one the top session players of all time
- Giacomo Tedesco (b. 1976), Italian footballer
- Sergio Tedesco (b. 1928), Italian operatic tenor, and actor
- Paola Tedesco (b. 1952), Italian film actress
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +