The Tedeschi surname comes from the Italian word "tedesco," meaning "German," from the Old High German word "diutisc." As such, the name meant "one of Germany
descent." It was also a Jewish name in Italy, given to or taken by Ashkenazic
Jews in Italy. The name Tedeschi is the plural form of Tedesco.
Early Origins of the Tedeschi family
The surname Tedeschi was first found in Sicily
(Italian: Sicilia), the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea where someone of the name of Cau is said to have come to Italy with the House of Hohenstaufen Dynasty from Swabia (in Germany
,) and served under Emperor Henry VI (Arrigo VI of Svevia,) King of Sicily
from 1194 to 1197.
Early History of the Tedeschi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tedeschi research.Another 296 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1434, 1440, 1573, 1616, 1666, and 1674 are included under the topic Early Tedeschi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tedeschi Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Tedisco, Todeschi, Todesco, Tedeschi and others.
Early Notables of the Tedeschi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this surname in early times was Riccardo Tedesco, who was granted a lordship of castles in Palermo and Santo Basilio; as well as a Nicolo Tedesco, who was Archbishop of Palermo (1434-1440)... Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tedeschi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Tedeschi family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Francesco Tedeschi, age 23, who arrived in New York on April 23, 1883, aboard the "Brittania"; Aniello Tedesco, age 28, who arrived in New York on Feb. 24, 1883 aboard the ".
Contemporary Notables of the name Tedeschi (post 1700)
- Joseph Tedeschi, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New Jersey 9th District, 2000
- Angelo Tedeschi, American founder of Tedeschi Food Shops, a chain of 189 convenience stores in Massachusetts in 1923
- Susan Tedeschi (b. 1970), American multiple Grammy Award nominated blues and soul musician
- Ettore Gotti Tedeschi (b. 1945), Italian economist and banker
- Luca Tedeschi (b. 1987), Italian footballer
- Gianrico Tedeschi (b. 1920), Italian film actor who appeared in 50 films between 1943 and 1994
- Enzo Tedeschi (b. 1976), Australian screenwriter, television and film editor and producer
- Mark Tedeschi QC (b. 1952), Australian barrister, professor, photographer and author
- Gad Tedeschi (1907-1992), Italian-born, Israeli jurist, recipient of the 1954 Israel Prize
- Simon Tedeschi (b. 1981), Australian classical pianist based in Sydney, winner in the 1998 ABC Symphony Australia Young Performers Awards
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)