100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Tankersley was first found in South Yorkshire
at Tankersley, a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley which dates back to the Domesday Book
where it was listed as Tancreslei and literally meant "woodland clearing of a man called Tata" having derived for the Old English personal name + ing + tun. 
At that time, the land was held by Richard of Sourdeval and was quite small with 3 villagers and had enough land for 2 ploughs. 
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Tankersley include Tankersley, Tankesley, Tankisle, Tankersly, Tankerslie, Tankerslee and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tankersley research. Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Tankersley History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Tankersley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Tankersley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- F E. Tankersley, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1910
- Margaret Tankersley, aged 20, who settled in America from Pittsburgh, Kansas, in 1913
- Susie Tankersley, aged 19, who emigrated to Greenwich, Conn., in 1921
- J.G. Tankersley, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States, in 1921
- James Tankersley, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1922
Tankersley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas William Tankersley landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Governor
- Lawrence William "Leo" Tankersley (1901-1980), American Major League Baseball catcher for the Chicago White Sox in 1925
- Ruth "Bazy" McCormick Miller Tankersley (1921-2013), nee McCormick, American noted breeder of Arabian horses
- Samuel Tankersley, United States Army Lieutenant General
- Richie Tankersley (b. 1952), American author
- Dennis Lee Tankersley (b. 1979), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 2002 through 2004 for the San Diego Padres
- Taylor Mark Tankersley (b. 1983), American Major League Baseball left-handed relief pitcher
- Dan Tankersley, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oklahoma, 1952
- Bill Tankersley, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oklahoma, 1956
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
The Tankersley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tankersley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 October 2015 at 10:32.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!