100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Tankersley include Tankersley, Tankesley, Tankisle, Tankersly, Tankerslie, Tankerslee and many more.
First found in South Yorkshire at Tankersley, a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley which dates back to the Domesday Book where it was listed as Tancreslei and literally meant "woodland clearing of a man called Tata" having derived for the Old English personal name + ing + tun.  At that time, the land was held by Richard of Sourdeval and was quite small with 3 villagers and had enough land for 2 ploughs. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tankersley research. Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Tankersley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tankersley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Tankersley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- F E. Tankersley, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1910
- Margaret Tankersley, aged 20, who settled in America from Pittsburgh, Kansas, in 1913
- Susie Tankersley, aged 19, who emigrated to Greenwich, Conn., in 1921
- J.G. Tankersley, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States, in 1921
- James Tankersley, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1922
Tankersley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas William Tankersley landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Governor
- Lawrence William "Leo" Tankersley (1901-1980), American Major League Baseball catcher for the Chicago White Sox in 1925
- Ruth "Bazy" McCormick Miller Tankersley (1921-2013), nee McCormick, American noted breeder of Arabian horses
- Samuel Tankersley, United States Army Lieutenant General
- Richie Tankersley (b. 1952), American author
- Dennis Lee Tankersley (b. 1979), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 2002 through 2004 for the San Diego Padres
- Taylor Mark Tankersley (b. 1983), American Major League Baseball left-handed relief pitcher
- Dan Tankersley, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oklahoma, 1952
- Bill Tankersley, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oklahoma, 1956
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Tankersley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tankersley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 October 2015 at 10:32.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!