Swiger History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Swiger originated in the former duchy of Swabia, now the region of Baden-Wurttemberg. The name is derived from the Middle High German word "sweiger," meaning "one who operates a dairy farm." Swiger is possibly also related to the Middle High German verb "sweigen," meaning "to make cheese." Alternatively, the name may be connected to the place name "Schwaig," the name of a city in Swabia. It is likely that the first bearers of the name were dairy farmers or residents of the city of Schwaig.
Early Origins of the Swiger family
The surname Swiger was first found in Wuerzburg, where the earliest recorded bearer of the name, Gottfried von Sweigere, was living in 1203. His son, Konrad Sweigere, is also on record as a resident of Wuerzburg in 1223.
Early History of the Swiger family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swiger research. Another 112 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1370, 1379, 1403, 1511, 1570, 1675, and 1758 are included under the topic Early Swiger History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Swiger Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schwaiger, Swiger, Schweiger, Sweigere, von Sweigere, Schweier, Swaiger, Swigart, Swigard and many more.
Early Notables of the Swiger family (pre 1700)
Notables with the surname Swiger during this period were the Schwaigers, a family of goldsmiths working in Swabia from the fifteenth century, Johann Schweiger (1511-1570), a curate...
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swiger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Swiger migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swiger Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Rudolph Swiger, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1893
- Max Swiger, aged 3, who landed in America, in 1895
- Dora Swiger, aged 7, who immigrated to America, in 1895
Swiger Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Amelia Swiger, aged 48, who settled in America, in 1911
- Edgar Swiger, aged 2, who landed in America, in 1914
- James Swiger, aged 31, who immigrated to the United States, in 1914
- Dessee Swiger, aged 23, who landed in America, in 1914
- Carl B. Swiger, aged 31, who immigrated to the United States, in 1922
Contemporary Notables of the name Swiger (post 1700) +
- J. Lynn Swiger (b. 1903), American Democrat politician, Automobile dealer; Taxicab operator; Member of West Virginia State Senate 10th District, 1951-54
- Ira L. Swiger, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State Senate 13th District, 1938; Chair of Harrison County Republican Party, 1940-41
- Ernest C. Swiger, American Republican politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Harrison County, 1940
- Arlen G. Swiger, American politician, Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Tyler County, 1913-16
- A. E. Swiger, American Republican politician, Candidate for Missouri State House of Representatives from Clinton County, 1946
- Arlen G Swiger, American founder of a fellowship program at West Virginia University
- Joe Edward Swiger (b. 1940), American political worker
Related Stories +