Swigart History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the German surname Swigart can be traced back to the former duchy of Swabia, now known as Baden-Wuerttemberg, where the name first emerged. The name means "son of Schwind," which is itself a diminutive of first names, such as Schweibold, Swindbercht, and Schweifer, which are derived from the Old High German "swind," meaning "strong."
Early Origins of the Swigart family
The surname Swigart was first found in the foothills of the northern Swiss mountains, in the town of Konstanz, where Heinrich Swigger, the earliest recorded bearer of the name, was living in 1255.
Early History of the Swigart family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swigart research. Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1302, 1358, 1468, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Swigart History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Swigart Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schwick, Swick, Schwich, Schwigh, Schwigg, Schwigger, Schwiger, Swigger and many more.
Early Notables of the Swigart family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Swigart Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Swigart is the 12,720th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Swigart migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swigart Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Frederick Swigart, who arrived in Maryland in 1848 
Contemporary Notables of the name Swigart (post 1700) +
- William J. Swigart Jr., American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1964
- Warren R. Swigart, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Mayor of Omaha, Nebraska, 1965; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nebraska, 1972
- E. S. Swigart, American politician, Mayor of Champaign, Illinois, 1916
- D. W. Swigart, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1860
- John Leonard "Jack" Swigart Jr. (1931-1982), American astronaut and command module pilot on Apollo 13
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)