Sweigart History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Sweigart is generally thought to be derived from the Middle High German word "swaere" meaning "grieved" or "sad," suggesting one who was grieved or saddened. Sweigart may have originated as a nickname, derived from a physical characteristic or personal attribute of the initial bearer. In some cases, the Sweigart name may have also been derived from the German word "schwer" meaning "father-in-law" or "schwager" meaning "brother-in-law."
Early Origins of the Sweigart family
The surname Sweigart was first found in Germany, where Chunrat der Swaere was recorded in Bavaria in 1225 and Hentze Sweher in Rohrbach in Hesse in 1366. There is reference to one Christoph Schweher in 1565 from Budweis, and G. Magnus Schweyher in 1719 from Nuremberg.
Early History of the Sweigart family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sweigart research. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1772 and 1820 are included under the topic Early Sweigart History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sweigart Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schwäher, Schwähr, Schweher, Schweyer, Schweyher, Schwerer, Schwaeher, Schwier, Swieger, Schwägerl, Schwager, Swager, Schwertfeger and many more.
Early Notables of the Sweigart family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Sweigart Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sweigart migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sweigart Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Washington Sweigart, aged 33, who arrived in America in 1908
Contemporary Notables of the name Sweigart (post 1700) +
- Richard E. Sweigart, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Ephrata, Pennsylvania, 1965-73 (acting, 1965-66)
- Captian Frank Sweigart, American former officer in the United States Navy, Deputy Director of the Office for the Administrative Review of Detained Enemy Combatants
- Stephen Sweigart, American News & Documentary Emmy Award nominated producer, known for his work on Nova (1974), Nova ScienceNow (2005) and Rosalind Franklin: DNA's Dark Lady (2003)
- Matt Sweigart, American actor, known for his work on Redneck Superheros: The Movie (2011) and The Legacy of Officer Dunbar (2011)
- Charles Sweigart, American actor, known for Real Genius (1985), Tough Guys (1986) and The Couch Trip (1988)
- Anne Brossman Sweigart, American eponym of Anne Brossman Sweigart Hall, Rider University, Mercer County, New Jersey
- Vicki Sweigart, American two-time gold medalist equestrian at the 1996 Summer Paralympics
- Dr. George W. Sweigart, American dentist and Mayor for the town of Hartford City, Indiana; founder of Mount Lawn Speedway, Greensboro, Henry County, Indiana in 1934
Related Stories +