on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Swearingen family come from? What is the German Swearingen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Swearingen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Swearingen family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schwerin, Schwerinsburg and others.
First found in Mecklenburg, where the name contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation, and would later play a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. Over time, the family name branched into other houses, where their influence continued to be felt because of the important role they played in the local social and political affairs. They were the ancient counts of Schwerin in Mecklinberg.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swearingen research. Another 151 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1684 and 1757 are included under the topic Early Swearingen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swearingen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swearingen Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gerett Van Swearingen, who landed in New Castle, Del in 1655
- Rob Swearingen (b. 1963), American businessman and politician, Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly (2013-)
- Terri Swearingen, American nurse from Ohio, awarded the Goldman Environmental Prize in 1997
- Addie Peed Swearingen (1904-2008), American former beautician who became a philanthropist
- Thomas Van Swearingen (1784-1822), American politician, U.S. Representative from Virginia (1819-1822)
- Henry Swearingen (1792-1849), American politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio (1838-1841)
- Edward J. "Ed" Swearingen (b. 1925), American aeronautical engineer
- Lawson Lewis Swearingen Jr. (b. 1944), former American Democratic member of the Louisiana State Senate (1990-1991)
- James Swearingen, American composer and arranger
- Thomas Van Swearingen (1784-1822), American politician, Member of Virginia State Legislature; U.S. Representative from Virginia, 1819-22
- American Pilgrimage for Lesans, Blanchards, Swearingers by Ruth Blanchard Knudson.
- Some Descendants of Garrett Vansweringen (also Swearingen) of St. Mary's, Maryland by Frances C.T. Daniels.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
The Swearingen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Swearingen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 December 2015 at 09:52.
on orders of $85 or more