on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Swearingen family come from? What is the German Swearingen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Swearingen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Swearingen family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schwerin, Schwerinsburg and others.
First found in Mecklenburg, where the name contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation, and would later play a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. Over time, the family name branched into other houses, where their influence continued to be felt because of the important role they played in the local social and political affairs. They were the ancient counts of Schwerin in Mecklinberg.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swearingen research. Another 151 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1684 and 1757 are included under the topic Early Swearingen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 38 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swearingen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swearingen Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gerett Van Swearingen, who landed in New Castle, Del in 1655
- James Swearingen, American composer and arranger
- Lawson Lewis Swearingen Jr. (b. 1944), former American Democratic member of the Louisiana State Senate (1990-1991)
- Edward J. "Ed" Swearingen (b. 1925), American aeronautical engineer
- Henry Swearingen (1792-1849), American politician, U.S. Representative from Ohio (1838-1841)
- Thomas Van Swearingen (1784-1822), American politician, U.S. Representative from Virginia (1819-1822)
- Addie Peed Swearingen (1904-2008), American former beautician who became a philanthropist
- Terri Swearingen, American nurse from Ohio, awarded the Goldman Environmental Prize in 1997
- Rob Swearingen (b. 1963), American businessman and politician, Member of the Wisconsin State Assembly (2013-)
- American Pilgrimage for Lesans, Blanchards, Swearingers by Ruth Blanchard Knudson.
- Some Descendants of Garrett Vansweringen (also Swearingen) of St. Mary's, Maryland by Frances C.T. Daniels.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
The Swearingen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Swearingen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 December 2014 at 10:40.
on orders of $85 or more