100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Swartz family come from? What is the German Swartz family crest and coat of arms? When did the Swartz family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Swartz family history?Thuringia, which is located between Hessen and Lower Saxony in the west and Saxony in the east, is the noble birthplace of the name Swartz. It is derived from the low German word "Schwarze," which means "black," or "swarthy."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schwartz, Swartz, Schwarz, Schwartze, Schwarte and others.
First found in the Thuringian region, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Prominent in social affairs, the name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System. Chronicles trace the use of "Schwarz" as a name as far back as the seventh century, when two brothers, "der schwarze und der weisse Ewald," worked as missionaries in Westphalia.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swartz research. Another 256 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1530, 1602, 1621, 1638, 1710, 1801, 1858, and 1867 are included under the topic Early Swartz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 53 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swartz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swartz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Geoe Swartz, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Tobias Swartz, aged 26, landed in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Conrade Swartz, aged 32, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1739
- Johannes Swartz, aged 24, landed in Pennsylvania in 1741
- Hendrick Swartz, aged 19, landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
Swartz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Swartz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1806
- Jacob Fredrik Swartz, who arrived in New York in 1833
- Samuel Swartz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1836
- Mathias Swartz, who landed in New York, NY in 1838
- Thomas Swartz, who landed in Mississippi in 1839
Swartz Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Donnie Swartz, who arrived in Mississippi in 1902
- Kit Swartz, American television producer for CNN, recipient of the 2009 George Polk Award
- Sherwin Merle "Bud" Swartz (1929-1991), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the St. Louis Browns
- Vernon Monroe "Monty" Swartz (1897-1980), American Major League Baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds
- Shane Swartz (b. 1975), American boxer in the 1990s, U.S. National Amateur Champion (1994 and 1995)
- Joshua William Swartz (1867-1959), American politician, Republican member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania
- Dr. Jerome Swartz (b. 1940), American physicist and eraly developer of barcode scanning technologies, co-founder of Symbol Technologies, now a subsidiary of Motorola
- Russell Anthony "Tony" Swartz (b. 1943), American actor, best known for his role as Flight Sergeant Jolly on the first Battlestar Galactica television series (1978)
- Daniel S. Swartz (1934-1997), American NBA basketball player born in Owingsville, Kentucky
- Merlin Swartz PhD, Professor of Religion (Islamic Studies), Harvard University
- Olaus Swartz (1760-1817), Swedish botanist, eponym of the genus Swartzia
- The Descendants of John Swartz, Sr., 1760-1817, of Saunsville, Shenandoah County, Virginia by Benjamin Kinsell Swartz.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
The Swartz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Swartz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 May 2014 at 17:10.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!