Suttor History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The German name Suttor comes from the historic region of Austria
. The name itself is derived from the Middle High German word "suter," and is an occupational
name for a shoemaker or cobbler.
Early Origins of the Suttor family
The surname Suttor was first found in Austria
, where bearers of this surname have been prominent contributors to the development of the district from ancient times. Always prominent in social affairs, the family name became an integral part of that turbulent region as it emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal
System and the nation.
Early History of the Suttor family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Suttor research.Another 133 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1314, 1642 and 1705 are included under the topic Early Suttor History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Suttor Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Sutter, Suter, Sauter, Sautter, Seuter, Seutter, Seiter, Sutterer and many more.
Early Notables of the Suttor family (pre 1700)
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Suttor Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Suttor family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Suttor Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Suttor (1774–1859), English pioneer settler to Australia who sailed aboard the HMS Porpoise in 1800 with a collection of trees and plants including grapevines, apples, pears, and hops for planting, progenitor of the Suttor family in Australia
Contemporary Notables of the name Suttor (post 1700)
- John Bligh Suttor (1809-1886), Australian politician who represented East Macquarie in the Legislative Assembly, son of George Suttor
- William Henry Suttor Jr. (1834-1905), Australian politician, Member of the Legislative Assembly in January 1875, becoming Vice-President of the Executive Council in 1889
- Francis Bathurst Suttor (1839-1915), Australian pastoralist and politician, Member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, grandson of George Suttor
- William Henry Suttor (1805-1877), Australian pastoralist and politician, Member of the New South Wales Legislative Council 1843-1854, and of the Legislative Assembly 1856-1872, son of George Suttor
Suttor Family Crest Products