Early Origins of the Suriano family
The surname Suriano was first found in Castrogiovanni a town in the province of Enna in Sicily
. The history goes back to 397 B.C. Cicero speaks of it as a place of some importance. It was taken by the Saracens in 859, and by the Normans
in 1087. The cathedral is of interest but there are no remains of the famous temple of Demeter. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Suriano family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Suriano research.Another 334 words (24 lines of text) covering the year 1400 is included under the topic Early Suriano History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Suriano Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Suriano, Surriano, Surriani, Suriani and others.
Early Notables of the Suriano family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Suriano Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Suriano family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Suriano Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio Suriano, who arrived in New York city in 1902
- Salvatore Suriano, who arrived through the port of New York in 1913
Contemporary Notables of the name Suriano (post 1700)
- Philip Suriano (b. 1948), American actor, best known for playing dominick Santoro in Martin Scorsese's Casino (1995)
- Giuseppe Suriano (1765-1799), Italian revolutionary
- Francisco Suriano (b. 1978), Salvadoran Oylmpic swimmer who competed at the 1996 Summer Olympics and at the 2000 Summer Olympics