on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Belgium Stroup family come from? What is the Belgium Stroup family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stroup family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stroup family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stroop, Stroup, Strope, Stroopere, Struppi and others.
First found in Belgium, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in East Flanders, a province in Belgium. Within this province the notable towns are Ghent, the capital city, St Nicolas, Alost, Termonde and Oudenarde. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stroup research. Another 219 words (16 lines of text) covering the year 1779 is included under the topic Early Stroup History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stroup Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stroup Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Adam Stroup, who came to Georgia sometime between 1733 and 1783
- Charles Stroup, who arrived in North Carolina sometime between 1792 and 1862
Stroup Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adolph Stroup, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1805
- Adolph Stroup, aged 21, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1805
- Dennis Stroup, aged 27, landed in Missouri in 1849
- John Stroup, who arrived in Ohio in 1850
- Alowis Stroup, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854
- Richard L. Stroup, American free market environmentalist adjunct professor
- Stanley G. Stroup, American politician, former member of the Pennsylvania State Senate
- John B. Stroup, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 2008
- Herbert H. Stroup, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 2nd District, 1952
- F. J. Stroup, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 31st District, 1911-12
- Daphne Ann Stroup, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 2008
- Arthur G. Stroup, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Alaska Territory, 1924
- Abel C. Stroup, American politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives from Gaston County, 1911-12
- Moses Stroup, American politician, Member of North Carolina State House of Representatives from Gaston County, 1891-92
- Robert Stroup, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from North Dakota, 1976
- Stroope/Stroop Family History by Connie Stroope Brooks.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The Stroup Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stroup Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 December 2015 at 14:25.
on orders of $85 or more