Stroup History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Stroup family
The surname Stroup was first found in Belgium, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in East Flanders, a province in Belgium. Within this province the notable towns are Ghent, the capital city, St Nicolas, Alost, Termonde and Oudenarde. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into a most influential family.
Early History of the Stroup family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stroup research. Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1779 is included under the topic Early Stroup History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stroup Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stroop, Stroup, Strope, Stroopere, Struppi and others.
Early Notables of the Stroup family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Stroup Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Stroup is the 4,619th most popular surname with an estimated 7,461 people with that name. 
Stroup migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stroup Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Adam Stroup, who settled in Georgia sometime between 1733 and 1783
- Charles Stroup, who arrived in North Carolina sometime between 1792 and 1862
Stroup Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Adolph Stroup, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1805
- Adolph Stroup, aged 21, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1805 
- Dennis Stroup, aged 27, who landed in Missouri in 1849 
- John Stroup, who arrived in Ohio in 1850 
- Alowis Stroup, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Stroup (post 1700) +
- Richard L. Stroup, American free market environmentalist adjunct professor
- Stanley G. Stroup, American politician, former member of the Pennsylvania State Senate
- Jessica Leigh Stroup (b. 1986), American actress and fashion model
- Keith Stroup, American attorney and founder of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
- Kevin Stroup (b. 1957), American actor
- John B. Stroup, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 2008 
- Herbert H. Stroup, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 2nd District, 1952 
- F. J. Stroup, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 31st District, 1911-12 
- Daphne Ann Stroup, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 2008 
- Arthur G. Stroup, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Alaska Territory, 1924 
- ... (Another 7 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Stroup +
- Stroope/Stroop Family History by Connie Stroope Brooks.
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 20) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html