100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Straube surname is derived from the Old High German "strub, " equivalent to the Latin "strobilus," meaning "unkempt." As such, it was probably originally a nickname
for someone who appeared scruffy-haired. Nickname
surnames came from eke-names, or added names, that described their initial bearer through reference to a physical characteristic or other attribute.
The surname Straube was first found in the southern provinces of mediaeval Germany
, where the name Straub was closely identified in this period with the feudal
society that would eventually shape the course of European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches in Southern Bavaria
, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Straube include Straub, Strube, Struwe, Strufe, Strob, Strauber, Strauble, Strubel, Strobel, Strubing, Struwing and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Straube research. Another 199 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Straube History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Straube Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Early immigration records have shown some of the first Straubes to arrive on North American shores:
Straube Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Michael Straube, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1738
- Johan Godfried Straube, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1739
- John William Straube, who arrived in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in 1740
- Johan August Straube, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754
Straube Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Catharina Straube, who arrived in Texas in 1845
- H Straube, who landed in Galveston, Tex in 1846
- Heinrich Straube, who arrived in Texas in 1846
- Edward Straube, who landed in America in 1849
- F G Straube, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Robert Straube (1938-2006), American artist
- William C. Straube, American politician, Mayor of Edwardsville, Illinois, 1935-38, 1953
- Charles F. Straube, American politician, Burgess of Ambridge, Pennsylvania, 1927-29
- Oliver Straube (b. 1971), German football coach and a former player
- Carl Siegfried Straube (1873-1950), German church musician, organist, and choral conductor
- Erich Straube (1887-1971), German general, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Straube Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Straube Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 December 2015 at 10:48.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!