100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stauffer, Staufer, Staufert, Stouffer, Stover and others.
First found in Switzerland, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The name is derived from the Old High German word "stouf," and is an occupational name for a maker or seller of beakers or mugs. The name was also a habitation name adopted from one of the many places so named in Switzerland or Germany.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stover research. Another 199 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1907 and 1944 are included under the topic Early Stover History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stover Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stover Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Sylvester Stover, who arrived in New England in 1652
Stover Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Martin Stover, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1761
- Christian Stover, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1763
Stover Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Philip Stover, who arrived in Maryland in 1801
Stover Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Michael, Stover Jr., who landed in Canada in 1830
- Wesley Stover, who landed in Canada in 1831
- William Stover, who arrived in Canada in 1831
- Albin Stover, who came to Canada in 1831
- Albin Stover, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Kenneth Stover (b. 1948), American former Motown songwriter, producer, and singer
- Elias Sleeper Stover (1836-1927), American businessman, politician, and university president
- John Hubler Stover (1833-1889), American politician, U.S. Representative from Missouri
- Jessica Mae Stover, American motion picture auteur director, screenwriter and actor
- Ralph Stover (1760-1811), American Justice of the Peace and politician in Pennsylvania, eponym of Ralph Stover State Park
- Jeff Stover, American retired defensive lineman for the San Francisco 49ers American football team during the 1980s
- Jeremy Stover, American country music songwriter and record producer
- Stewart Lynn "Smokey" Stover (b. 1938), former American college fullback and AFL and CFL football linebacker
- Russell Stover (1888-1954), American chemist and entrepreneur, founder of Russell Stover Candies in 1923
- Matthew Stover (b. 1962), American fantasy and science fiction novelist, best for his four Star Wars novels
- Stover, Stoever, Staver, Stiver: and Account Of the Ancestry and Descendants of Johann Caspar Stoevar of Pennsylvania by Vernon Stiver.
- Benjamin Parrott, c. 1795-1839 and Lewis Stover, 1781-1850/60, of Overton County, Tennessee by Mavis Parrott Kelsey.
- The Stover/Stauffer Connection by Raymond M. Stover.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
The Stover Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stover Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 December 2015 at 21:49.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!