on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Stover family come from? What is the German Stover family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stover family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stover family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stauffer, Staufer, Staufert, Stouffer, Stover and others.
First found in Switzerland, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The name is derived from the Old High German word "stouf," and is an occupational name for a maker or seller of beakers or mugs. The name was also a habitation name adopted from one of the many places so named in Switzerland or Germany.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stover research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1907 and 1944 are included under the topic Early Stover History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stover Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stover Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Sylvester Stover, who arrived in New England in 1652
Stover Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Martin Stover, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1761
- Christian Stover, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1763
Stover Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Philip Stover, who arrived in Maryland in 1801
Stover Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Michael, Stover Jr., who landed in Canada in 1830
- Wesley Stover, who landed in Canada in 1831
- William Stover, who arrived in Canada in 1831
- Albin Stover, who came to Canada in 1831
- Albin Stover, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Leon Eugene Stover (1929-2006), American anthropologist
- Matthew Stover (b. 1962), American fantasy and science fiction novelist, best for his four Star Wars novels
- John Matthew "Matt" Stover (b. 1968), retired American Football placekicker
- Dan Stover (b. 1951), American public educator
- Russell Stover (1888-1954), American chemist and entrepreneur, founder of Russell Stover Candies in 1923
- Elgie Stover (b. 1938), American songwriter, composer, producer and background singer
- David Stover (b. 1979), American retired NASCAR driver
- Stewart Lynn "Smokey" Stover (b. 1938), former American college fullback and AFL and CFL football linebacker
- Jeremy Stover, American country music songwriter and record producer
- Jeff Stover, American retired defensive lineman for the San Francisco 49ers American football team during the 1980s
- Stover, Stoever, Staver, Stiver: and Account Of the Ancestry and Descendants of Johann Caspar Stoevar of Pennsylvania by Vernon Stiver.
- Benjamin Parrott, c. 1795-1839 and Lewis Stover, 1781-1850/60, of Overton County, Tennessee by Mavis Parrott Kelsey.
- The Stover/Stauffer Connection by Raymond M. Stover.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
The Stover Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stover Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 January 2015 at 07:32.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more