at Stonor, a Saxon village that dates back to the late 10th century when it was named Stanora. Literally the place name means "stony hill-slope," from the Old English words "stan" + "ora"
Stonor Park is an historic country house and private deer park situated nearby and has been the home of the Stonor family for more than eight centuries. It is generally thought that the house was probably begun after 1280 when Sir Richard Stoner (1250-1314) married his second wife, Margaret Harnhull. The following quote is a particular interest and reflects the family's ancient heritage. We provide the quote as it was recorded in the language of the times: "Stonor is a 3 miles out of Henley. Ther is a fayre parke and a warren of connies and fayre woods. The mansion place standithe clyminge on a hille, and hathe 2 courtes buyldyd withe tymbar, brike, and flynte; Sir Walter Stoner, now possessor of it, hathe augmentyd and strengthed the howse. The Stoners hathe longe had it in possessyn syns one Fortescue invadyd it by marriage of an heire generall of the Sonors, but after dispocessed."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stonerock research.Another 130 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1200, 1334 and 1492 are included under the topic Early Stonerock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Alex Stoner who settled in Virginia in 1638; Chris and Fredrick Stoner landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1764 and 1795 respectively; John Stoner settled in Virginia in 1640..