Stoltenberg History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Stoltenberg emerged in the lands that formed the modern state of Lower Saxony, which is presently bordered by the North Sea, the Hartz mountains and the Elbe and Ems rivers. Lower Saxony was previously a medieval Saxon dukedom. East Frisia (Ostfriesland) was located between the land of Oldenburg and the Netherlands. In 1648, the Frisian lands were divided. The Netherlands became independent and the Dutch part is West Frisia.In 1815, the Congress Of Vienna awarded East Frisia to the Kingdom of Hanover and it later, in 1866, became a part of Brandenburg-Prussia. This territory became a district of Lower Saxony in 1946.
Early Origins of the Stoltenberg family
The surname Stoltenberg was first found in Lower Saxony, where the name was associated with the landed nobility and gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired estates and branches, such as the estate of Segeln in Osnabruck, always elevating their status by their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Stoltenberg family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stoltenberg research. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1786, 1842, 1600, 1660, 1624 and 1811 are included under the topic Early Stoltenberg History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stoltenberg Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stoltzenburg, Stolzenburg, Stoltenburg, Stoltzenberg, Stolzenberg and many more.
Early Notables of the Stoltenberg family (pre 1700)
Notables of the time included Daniel Stolz von Stolzenberg (1600-1660), a Bohemian physician and writer on alchemy, a pupil of Michael Maier in Prague, best known for...
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stoltenberg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stoltenberg migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stoltenberg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Stoltenberg (also recorded as Henry Stoltenburg), who settled in Philadelphia in 1848
Contemporary Notables of the name Stoltenberg (post 1700) +
- Donald Hugo "Don" Stoltenberg (1927-2016), American painter and author
- Renee Stoltenberg, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 2012 
- Luana Stoltenberg (b. 1960), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Iowa, 2004, 2008 (alternate) 
- Gerhard Stoltenberg (1928-2001), German scientist and politician. He was the Federal Minister for Scientific research, the Federal Vice-Chairman of the CDU, the Minister-President of Schleswig-Holstein, and finally the Minister of Finance (1982-)
- Jens Stoltenberg (b. 1959), Norwegian politician, the 13th Secretary General of NATO, Prime Minister of Norway from 2000 to 2001 and again from 2005 to 2013
- Thorvald Stoltenberg (b. 1931), the Norwegian Under-Secretary of State for various ministries
- Robert Stoltenberg (b. 1965), Norwegian comedian
- Jason Stoltenberg (b. 1970), former Australian professional tennis player
Related Stories +