on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Stobie family come from? What is the Scottish Stobie family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stobie family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stobie family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stobo, Stobie, Stoba, Stobhou, Stoby and others.
First found in Peebles, where they held a family seat from early times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D. David Stobo witnessed a charter to the Bishop of Glasgow in 1177.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stobie research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1683, 1699, and 1759 are included under the topic Early Stobie History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stobie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stobie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Stobie, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1873
Stobie Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Adam Thomas Stobie, aged 29, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Lady Ann"
- Agnes Stobie, aged 23, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Lady Ann"
- Monica Stobie, American artist
- James Stobie, the Scottish factor to John Murray, the 4th Duke of Atholl 's in the late 17 hundreds
- Sean Stobie (b. 1972), Irish professional footballer
- William "Billy" Stobie (1950-2001), Irish Ulster Defence Association (UDA) quartermaster and Royal Ulster Constabulary
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Stobie Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stobie Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 October 2014 at 14:13.
on orders of $85 or more