on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Scottish Stobie family come from? What is the Scottish Stobie family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stobie family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stobie family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stobo, Stobie, Stoba, Stobhou, Stoby and others.
First found in Peebles, where they held a family seat from early times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D. David Stobo witnessed a charter to the Bishop of Glasgow in 1177.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stobie research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1683, 1699, and 1759 are included under the topic Early Stobie History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stobie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stobie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Stobie, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1873
Stobie Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Adam Thomas Stobie, aged 29, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Lady Ann"
- Agnes Stobie, aged 23, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Lady Ann"
- Monica Stobie, American artist
- James Stobie, the Scottish factor to John Murray, the 4th Duke of Atholl 's in the late 17 hundreds
- Sean Stobie (b. 1972), Irish professional footballer
- William "Billy" Stobie (1950-2001), Irish Ulster Defence Association (UDA) quartermaster and Royal Ulster Constabulary
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
The Stobie Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stobie Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 October 2014 at 14:13.
on orders of $85 or more