on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Stobie family come from? What is the Scottish Stobie family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stobie family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stobie family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stobo, Stobie, Stoba, Stobhou, Stoby and others.
First found in Peebles, where they held a family seat from early times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066 A.D. David Stobo witnessed a charter to the Bishop of Glasgow in 1177.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stobie research. Another 163 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1683, 1699, and 1759 are included under the topic Early Stobie History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stobie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stobie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Stobie, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1873
Stobie Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Adam Thomas Stobie, aged 29, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Lady Ann"
- Agnes Stobie, aged 23, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1857 aboard the ship "Lady Ann"
- Monica Stobie, American artist
- James Stobie, the Scottish factor to John Murray, the 4th Duke of Atholl 's in the late 17 hundreds
- William "Billy" Stobie (1950-2001), Irish Ulster Defence Association (UDA) quartermaster and Royal Ulster Constabulary
- Sean Stobie (b. 1972), Irish professional footballer
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Stobie Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stobie Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 October 2014 at 14:13.
on orders of $85 or more