Steitz History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Steitz family
The surname Steitz was first found in Saxony, where the name could be considered to make a great early contribution to the feudal society. The name became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in a fluctuating territorial profile.
Early History of the Steitz family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Steitz research. Another 151 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1130, 1730, 1777, 1794, and 1836 are included under the topic Early Steitz History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Steitz Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Steuven, Stoeven, Steuben, Staeuber, Staiber, Steubing, Steube and many more.
Early Notables of the Steitz family (pre 1700)
Prominent bearers of the family name Steitz at this time were Baron Friedrich Wilhelm Augustus Heinrich Ferdinand von Steuben (1730-1794), who was a famous German soldier from Magdeburg, Prussia. He became grand-marshal at the court of the Prince of Hollenzollern, and then at the court of the Margrave of Baden. In...
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Steitz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Steitz migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Steitz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Henrich Steitz, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754 
- Johann Henrich Steitz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1772 
- Peter Steitz, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1786 
Steitz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Elise Steitz, aged 24, who landed in New York, NY in 1852 
- Frederick Steitz, who landed in St Clair County, III in 1856 
- Christine Crass Steitz, who arrived in America in 1863 
- Louis Steitz, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1866 
Contemporary Notables of the name Steitz (post 1700) +
- Nick Steitz (b. 1982), American NFL football guard
- Ed Steitz (1920-1990), American basketball coach and official
- Thomas A Steitz Ph.D. (b. 1940), American Sterling Professor of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute of Yale University. He shared the 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry 
- Joan A. Steitz (b. 1941), molecular biologist at Yale University
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Thomas Steitz. (Retrieved 2010, September 27) Thomas Steitz. Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Steitz