100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, English, German
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stein, Steyne, Steyn, Steine, Stine, Steiyne, Styn and many more.
First found in Norfolk, where Alfricus Stein was registered in 1155.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stein research. Another 333 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1295, 1557, 1575 and 1583 are included under the topic Early Stein History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stein Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stein Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Hans Stein, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1639
Stein Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Martin Stein, who landed in New Jersey in 1709
- Michel Stein, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Joh Leonahart Stein, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Leonhart Stein, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1736
- Johan Casper Stein, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
Stein Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lewis Stein, who landed in Maryland in 1833
- Francis Stein, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1836
- Anna Maria Stein, who arrived in America in 1837
- Matthias Stein, who arrived in America in 1837
- Maria Margareta Stein, who landed in America in 1837
Stein Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sol Stein, who landed in Mississippi in 1900
- Samuel Joseph Stein, who arrived in Mississippi in 1904
- Friedrich Stein, who arrived in Alabama in 1913
- Heinrich Stein, who arrived in Alabama in 1924
- Carl Heinreich Stein, who landed in Alabama in 1924
Stein Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Engelhart Stein a labourer, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "South Australain" in 1837
- Philip Stein (b. 1919), American painter
- Dr. Jules C. Stein (1896-1981), American physician, and businessman who founded Music Corporation of America
- John Stein (b. 1944), American politician, former mayor of Wasilla, Alaska
- Charles F. Stein II (1900-1979), Baltimore historian and heraldist, founding officer of the American College of Heraldry and Arms
- Elias M. Stein (b. 1931), American mathematician, co-winner of the 1999 Wolf Prize
- A. J. Stein, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Brussels, 1884
- Albert C. Stein, American Republican politician, Supervisor of Ann Arbor Township, Michigan, 1932-47
- Alfred A. Stein, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1924, 1928
- Andrew J. Stein, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly, 1969-77; Borough President of Manhattan, New York, 1978-85; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1980
- Arthur L. Stein, American Republican politician, Candidate for Wisconsin State Assembly from Milwaukee County 24th District, 1956
- From Switzerland to Sonnenburg: the Story of the Steiner, Amstutz, and Zuercher Families from Wayne County, Ohio by Calyton Steiner.
- Poets, Painters, Paupers, Fools: Indiana's Stein Family by Robert C. Kriebel.
- Stein Stammbaum by Bachrach of Reichensachsen.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Stein Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stein Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 January 2016 at 08:52.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!