100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Dutch, English, German
Where did the English Stein family come from? What is the English Stein family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stein family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stein family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stein, Steyne, Steyn, Steine, Stine, Steiyne, Styn and many more.
First found in Norfolk, where Alfricus Stein was registered in 1155.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stein research. Another 333 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1295, 1557, 1575 and 1583 are included under the topic Early Stein History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Stein Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stein Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Hans Stein, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1639
Stein Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Martin Stein, who landed in New Jersey in 1709
- Michel Stein, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Joh Leonahart Stein, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
- Leonhart Stein, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1736
- Johan Casper Stein, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
Stein Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lewis Stein, who landed in Maryland in 1833
- Francis Stein, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1836
- Anna Maria Stein, who arrived in America in 1837
- Matthias Stein, who arrived in America in 1837
- Maria Margareta Stein, who landed in America in 1837
Stein Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Sol Stein, who landed in Mississippi in 1900
- Samuel Joseph Stein, who arrived in Mississippi in 1904
- Friedrich Stein, who arrived in Alabama in 1913
- Heinrich Stein, who arrived in Alabama in 1924
- Carl Heinreich Stein, who landed in Alabama in 1924
Stein Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Engelhart Stein a labourer, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "South Australain" in 1837
- Philip Stein (b. 1919), American painter
- Dr. Jules C. Stein (1896-1981), American physician, and businessman who founded Music Corporation of America
- John Stein (b. 1944), American politician, former mayor of Wasilla, Alaska
- Charles F. Stein II (1900-1979), Baltimore historian and heraldist, founding officer of the American College of Heraldry and Arms
- Elias M. Stein (b. 1931), American mathematician, co-winner of the 1999 Wolf Prize
- William Stein (b. 1974), Professor of Mathematics, University of Washington
- Corporal Tony Stein (1921-1945), American Marine awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Leon Stein (1910-2002), American composer and music analyst
- Charles M. Stein (b. 1920), American mathematical statistician
- Gertrude Stein (1874-1946), American writer and catalyst in the development of modern art and literature, who spent most of her life in France
- From Switzerland to Sonnenburg: the Story of the Steiner, Amstutz, and Zuercher Families from Wayne County, Ohio by Calyton Steiner.
- Poets, Painters, Paupers, Fools: Indiana's Stein Family by Robert C. Kriebel.
- Stein Stammbaum by Bachrach of Reichensachsen.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Stein Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stein Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 July 2014 at 17:21.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!