Steigerwalt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Steigerwalt is of toponymic origin derived from the Steigerwald mountain range in what was once called Franconia. Toponymic names usually indicated someone who had come from another region to settle, in this case the bearer probably would have hailed from the Steigerwald Mountains. The name of these mountains is derived from the Old and Middle High German "stic" meaning "climbing (path)" or the Old High German "stigan" meaning "to climb" and "wald" meaning "forest." Thus, Steigerwald can be translated literally as "climbing forest."
Early Origins of the Steigerwalt family
The surname Steigerwalt was first found in Franconia, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would shape European history. The name would emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. The earliest record of this surname dates back to the 14th century, when Gotfried Staygerwalt was recorded as residing in Nuremberg in 1315.
Early History of the Steigerwalt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Steigerwalt research. Another 25 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1702 and 1778 are included under the topic Early Steigerwalt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Steigerwalt Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Steigerwalt, Steigerwald, Steigewalt and others.
Early Notables of the Steigerwalt family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Steigerwalt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Steigerwalt migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Steigerwalt Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Peter Steigerwalt, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Johann Petter Steigerwalt, who settled in Philadelphia in 1749
- Johannes Steigerwalt, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1749
- Johan Peter Steigerwalt, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Johannes Steigerwalt, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Steigerwalt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Frederich Steigerwalt, who settled in Missouri in 1849
- Frederich Steigerwalt, aged 26, who arrived in Missouri in 1849 
Contemporary Notables of the name Steigerwalt (post 1700) +
- Wardell F. Steigerwalt, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 15th District, 1972 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 21) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html