Steigerwald History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Steigerwald is of toponymic origin derived from the Steigerwald mountain range in what was once called Franconia. Toponymic names usually indicated someone who had come from another region to settle, in this case the bearer probably would have hailed from the Steigerwald Mountains. The name of these mountains is derived from the Old and Middle High German "stic" meaning "climbing (path)" or the Old High German "stigan" meaning "to climb" and "wald" meaning "forest." Thus, Steigerwald can be translated literally as "climbing forest."
Early Origins of the Steigerwald family
The surname Steigerwald was first found in Franconia, where the name was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would shape European history. The name would emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs. The earliest record of this surname dates back to the 14th century, when Gotfried Staygerwalt was recorded as residing in Nuremberg in 1315.
Early History of the Steigerwald family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Steigerwald research. Another 25 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1702 and 1778 are included under the topic Early Steigerwald History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Steigerwald Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Steigerwalt, Steigerwald, Steigewalt and others.
Early Notables of the Steigerwald family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Steigerwald Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Steigerwald is the 18,433rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Steigerwald migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Steigerwald Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Georg Steigerwald, who settled in Pennsylvania sometime between 1741 and 1767
- George Steigerwald, who settled in Pennsylvania in 1748
- Georg Steigerwald, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1748 
- Joh Peter Steigerwald, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Eberhart Steigerwald, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1750 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Steigerwald Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joh Dan Steigerwald, who landed in North America in 1832-1849 
- Adam Steigerwald, who settled in Baltimore in 1843
- Fridrich Steigerwald, who arrived in New England in 1866
- Friedrich Steigerwald, who settled in New England in 1866
- Anna Katharina Steigerwald, who arrived in New England in 1866
Contemporary Notables of the name Steigerwald (post 1700) +
- Paul Steigerwald (b. 1954), American sportscaster for the NHL Pittsburgh Penguins
- Bill Steigerwald, American newspaper journalist
- Louis Steigerwald, American politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1938 
- Kurt Steigerwald (b. 1925), German ballet master
- Otto Steigerwald (1886-1918), German sculptor
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 21) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html