100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stauffer, Staufer, Staufert, Stouffer, Stover and others.
First found in Switzerland, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The name is derived from the Old High German word "stouf," and is an occupational name for a maker or seller of beakers or mugs. The name was also a habitation name adopted from one of the many places so named in Switzerland or Germany.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stauffer research. Another 199 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1907 and 1944 are included under the topic Early Stauffer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stauffer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stauffer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Ulrich Stauffer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Jacob Stauffer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Chr Stauffer, who landed in America in 1732
- Daniel Stauffer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Christoph Stauffer, who came to Philadelphia in 1737
Stauffer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Stauffer, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1826
- Philipp Stauffer, aged 24, arrived in New York in 1854
- Adam Stauffer, aged 36, arrived in New York in 1854
- Julius Stauffer, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1877
- Karl Stauffer, who landed in Kentucky in 1881
Stauffer Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Magdalena Stauffer, who arrived in Canada in 1754
Stauffer Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joseph Stauffer, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Abraham Stauffer, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Eli Stauffer, who landed in Canada in 1831
- William Albert "Bill" Stauffer (1930-2015), American basketball player
- Gordon C. Stauffer (b. 1930), retired American basketball coach
- Brenda Lee Stauffer (b. 1961), former field hockey player from the United States
- Simon Walter Stauffer (1888-1975), United States Representative
- Timothy James Stauffer (b. 1982), American Major League Baseball player
- Jack Stauffer (b. 1945), American television actor
- David McNeely Stauffer (1845-1913), eminent American civil engineer and author in that area
- Ethelbert Stauffer (1902-1979), German Protestant theologian and numismatist
- Jürg M. Stauffer (b. 1977), Swiss politician
- Lieutenant Joseph Emmett Stauffer (1874-1917), Canadian teacher politician and soldier
- Genealogical Study of Henry Stauffer by Elsie Stauffer.
- The Stauffer Families of Switzerland, Germany, and America by Richard Warren Davis.
- Stauffer-Sauder Genealogy by Margorie Ladd Holbrook.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Stauffer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stauffer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 December 2015 at 13:24.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!