100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Stauffer family come from? What is the German Stauffer family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stauffer family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stauffer family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stauffer, Staufer, Staufert, Stouffer, Stover and others.
First found in Switzerland, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. The name is derived from the Old High German word "stouf," and is an occupational name for a maker or seller of beakers or mugs. The name was also a habitation name adopted from one of the many places so named in Switzerland or Germany.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stauffer research. Another 199 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1907 and 1944 are included under the topic Early Stauffer History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stauffer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stauffer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Ulrich Stauffer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1727
- Jacob Stauffer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Chr Stauffer, who landed in America in 1732
- Daniel Stauffer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Christoph Stauffer, who came to Philadelphia in 1737
Stauffer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Stauffer, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1826
- Philipp Stauffer, aged 24, arrived in New York in 1854
- Adam Stauffer, aged 36, arrived in New York in 1854
- Julius Stauffer, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1877
- Karl Stauffer, who landed in Kentucky in 1881
Stauffer Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Magdalena Stauffer, who arrived in Canada in 1754
Stauffer Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joseph Stauffer, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Abraham Stauffer, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Eli Stauffer, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Gordon C. Stauffer (b. 1930), retired American basketball coach
- Brenda Lee Stauffer (b. 1961), former field hockey player from the United States
- Simon Walter Stauffer (1888-1975), United States Representative
- Timothy James Stauffer (b. 1982), American Major League Baseball player
- Jack Stauffer (b. 1945), American television actor
- David McNeely Stauffer (1845-1913), eminent American civil engineer and author in that area
- Ethelbert Stauffer (1902-1979), German Protestant theologian and numismatist
- Jürg M. Stauffer (b. 1977), Swiss politician
- Lieutenant Joseph Emmett Stauffer (1874-1917), Canadian teacher politician and soldier
- Ernst Heinrich "Teddy" Stauffer (1909-1991), Swiss bandleader, musician, actor and nightclub owner
- Genealogical Study of Henry Stauffer by Elsie Stauffer.
- The Stauffer Families of Switzerland, Germany, and America by Richard Warren Davis.
- Stauffer-Sauder Genealogy by Margorie Ladd Holbrook.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans (Edda Gentry trns). Dictionary of German Names . Madison, Wisconsin: Max Kade Institute, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
The Stauffer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stauffer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 September 2014 at 18:46.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!