100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Staiger is a local
surname; to be more precise, it is a topographic name, derived from a physical feature of the local geography. The specific derivation of the name Staiger is from the word "steig," which means "narrow, steep path." This makes sense considering that the family name originated in the Alps in Switzerland.
The surname Staiger was first found in the ancient city and canton of Berne, Switzerland
, where the name could be considered to make a great early contribution to the feudal
society which significantly affected the early development of Europe. The name, which held the baronial title since 1553, became prominent in local
affairs. They branched into many houses which played important roles in the regional conflicts, each political group striving to maintain power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Steiger, Steigere, Stiger, Steigel, Steig, Steigler, Steigner, Staiger, Staig and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Staiger research. Another 305 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1714 and 1787 are included under the topic Early Staiger History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Staiger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Staiger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Conrad Staiger came to Philadelphia in 1751
- Sebastian Staiger came to Philadelphia in 1753
- Michael Staiger came to Philadelphia in 1754
- Michael Staiger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Adam Staiger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1764
Staiger Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Leonhard Staiger came came to Philadelphia in 1804 with his wife and four children
- Leonhard Staiger, aged 39, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Johann Jakob Staiger, who landed in America in 1853
- Anna Mgr Staiger, who landed in America in 1854
- John E. Staiger, American Republican politician, Candidate for Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Allegheny County 3rd District, 1960
- George Staiger, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arizona, 1924, 1936
- Frank O. Staiger Jr. (b. 1930), American Republican politician, Delegate to Michigan State Constitutional Convention from 34th Senatorial District, 1961-62
- Frank O. Staiger, American politician, Mayor of Port Huron, Michigan, 1950
- Emil Staiger (b. 1908), prominent Swiss professor and writer
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
The Staiger Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Staiger Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2015 at 10:58.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!