on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the German Staiger family come from? What is the German Staiger family crest and coat of arms? When did the Staiger family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Staiger family history?The surname Staiger is a local surname; to be more precise, it is a topographic name, derived from a physical feature of the local geography. The specific derivation of the name Staiger is from the word "steig," which means "narrow, steep path." This makes sense considering that the family name originated in the Alps in Switzerland.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Steiger, Steigere, Stiger, Steigel, Steig, Steigler, Steigner, Staiger, Staig and many more.
First found in the ancient city and canton of Berne, Switzerland, where the name could be considered to make a great early contribution to the feudal society which significantly affected the early development of Europe. The name, which held the baronial title since 1553, became prominent in local affairs. They branched into many houses which played important roles in the regional conflicts, each political group striving to maintain power and status in an ever changing territorial profile.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Staiger research. Another 305 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1714 and 1787 are included under the topic Early Staiger History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Staiger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Staiger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Conrad Staiger came to Philadelphia in 1751
- Sebastian Staiger came to Philadelphia in 1753
- Michael Staiger came to Philadelphia in 1754
- Michael Staiger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Adam Staiger, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1764
Staiger Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Leonhard Staiger came came to Philadelphia in 1804 with his wife and four children
- Leonhard Staiger, aged 39, arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804
- Johann Jakob Staiger, who landed in America in 1853
- Anna Mgr Staiger, who landed in America in 1854
- John E. Staiger, American Republican politician, Candidate for Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Allegheny County 3rd District, 1960
- George Staiger, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Arizona, 1924, 1936
- Frank O. Staiger Jr. (b. 1930), American Republican politician, Delegate to Michigan State Constitutional Convention from 34th Senatorial District, 1961-62
- Frank O. Staiger, American politician, Mayor of Port Huron, Michigan, 1950
- Emil Staiger (b. 1908), prominent Swiss professor and writer
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Bahlow, Hans. Deutschlands geographische Namenwelt Etymologisches Lexikon der Fluss- und Ortsnamen alteuropaischer Herkunft. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1985. Print.
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Staiger Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Staiger Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2015 at 10:58.
on orders of $85 or more