The roots of the distinguished surname Speichert lie in the former duchy of Swabia, where the name is believed to have first emerged. The name has two possible origins. Firstly, it may be derived from the Middle High German "spicher," meaning "granary"; in this instance, the name would have been originally borne by a corn grinder. Alternatively, the name may be derived from "Spiecher," a place name borne by towns in both West Germany
and the Swiss Alps. In this case, the name would have been originally borne by someone who hailed from one of these towns.
Early Origins of the Speichert family
The surname Speichert was first found in the duchy of Swabia, where it first emerged. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was Konrad Speicher, who was living in Konstanz in 1388. The young Speichert family was instrumental during this early period, playing a crucial role in the development of medieval Swabian society.
Early History of the Speichert family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Speichert research.Another 191 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 138 and 1388 are included under the topic Early Speichert History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Speichert Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Speichert family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Speichert Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Speichert family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Speichert Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Otto Speichert, aged 9, who arrived in Hammond, Indiana, in 1900
- Miklos Speichert, aged 17, who arrived in America from Billed, Hungary, in 1907
- Josef Speichert, aged 27, who arrived in America from Denta, Hungary, in 1912
- Magdalena Speichert, aged 25, who arrived in America from Denta, Hungary, in 1912
- Marie Speichert, aged 53, who arrived in Hammond, Indiana, in 1914
Contemporary Notables of the name Speichert (post 1700)
- Sandra Speichert (b. 1971), German film and television actress