on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Portuguese, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Souza family come from? What is the Spanish Souza family crest and coat of arms? When did the Souza family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Souza family history?The distinguished surname Souza comes from Spain, a country rich in culture and history. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The Spanish surname Souza is the Castillian form of the Galician and Portuguese surname Souza or Sousa.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sosa, de Sosa, Soso, Soza, Sousa, de Sousa, Souza and many more.
First found in Galicia, in northwestern Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Souza research. Another 610 words (44 lines of text) covering the years 1037, 1139, and 1391 are included under the topic Early Souza History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Souza Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Souza Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eligio Souza, who sailed to Puerto Rico in 1881
- Eligio Souza, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1881
Souza Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agostinho Jose Tavaies Souza, aged 25, who settled in America from Neiros, Portugal, in 1912
- Amalia Souza, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Loule, Portugal, in 1916
- Adelaide Souza, aged 22, who landed in America from Lisbon, Portugal, in 1916
- Alexandre Souza, aged 22, who settled in America from Villa Verde, Portugal, in 1916
- Alfredo Souza, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Va. P. Aguiar, Portugal, in 1916
- Joe Souza (b. 1970), American singer and actor
- Justin Richard Souza (b. 1985), American professional baseball player
- Steven E. de Souza (b. 1947), American producer, director and screenwriter
- Pete Souza (b. 1954), American photojournalist and the current chief White House photographer for President Barack Obama
- Michael Souza (b. 1978), American professional ice hockey forward
- Edward Souza (1921-1979), American soccer player
- James Souza, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Hawaii, 1964
- Florentin Souza, American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Champerico, 1884
- Elsie Souza, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1996, 2004
- Cliff Souza, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2004
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
The Souza Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Souza Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 January 2016 at 23:27.
on orders of $85 or more