on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Portuguese, Spanish
Where did the Spanish Souza family come from? What is the Spanish Souza family crest and coat of arms? When did the Souza family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Souza family history?The distinguished surname Souza comes from Spain, a country rich in culture and history. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The Spanish surname Souza is the Castillian form of the Galician and Portuguese surname Souza or Sousa.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sosa, de Sosa, Soso, Soza, Sousa, de Sousa, Souza and many more.
First found in Galicia, in northwestern Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Souza research. Another 610 words(44 lines of text) covering the years 1037, 1139, and 1391 are included under the topic Early Souza History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 37 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Souza Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Souza Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Eligio Souza, who sailed to Puerto Rico in 1881
- Eligio Souza, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1881
Souza Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Agostinho Jose Tavaies Souza, aged 25, who settled in America from Neiros, Portugal, in 1912
- Amalia Souza, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States from Loule, Portugal, in 1916
- Adelaide Souza, aged 22, who landed in America from Lisbon, Portugal, in 1916
- Alexandre Souza, aged 22, who settled in America from Villa Verde, Portugal, in 1916
- Alfredo Souza, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Va. P. Aguiar, Portugal, in 1916
- Edward Souza (1921-1979), American soccer player
- Michael Souza (b. 1978), American professional ice hockey forward
- Pete Souza (b. 1954), American photojournalist and the current chief White House photographer for President Barack Obama
- Steven E. de Souza (b. 1947), American producer, director and screenwriter
- Justin Richard Souza (b. 1985), American professional baseball player
- Joe Souza (b. 1970), American singer and actor
- João Olavo Soares de Souza (b. 1988), Brazilian professional tennis player
- Willamis de Souza (b. 1979), football player from Brazil
- José Ivanaldo de Souza (b. 1975), Brazilian attacking midfielder
- Júlio César da Silva e Souza (b. 1980), Brazilian football player
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
The Souza Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Souza Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2011 at 15:44.
on orders of $85 or more