Souto History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The original bearer of the name Souto, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Souto family originally lived in one of the numerous towns or villages named Soto. The place-name Soto is derived from the Spanish word "soto," which refers to a "thicket" or "grove." This word is itself derived from the Latin word "saltus," which refers to a pasture land containing a forest or wood.
Early Origins of the Souto family
The surname Souto was first found in Castile, in north central Spain.
Early History of the Souto family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Souto research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1227 and 1830 are included under the topic Early Souto History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Souto Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Soto, de Soto, Desoto, Sota, de Sota, de la Sota, Desota, Sotela, Sotelo, de Sotelo, Sotera, Sotero, Sotillo and many more.
Early Notables of the Souto family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family Domingo de Soto, 16th century Spanish theologian and professor at the University of Salamanca; 17th century Spanish actress Catalina Sotomayor; 19th century Honduran politician Marco Aurelio Soto; 19th century Spanish military officer Raimundo María Soto; 19th...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Souto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Souto migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Souto Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pedro Souto, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1858 
Contemporary Notables of the name Souto (post 1700) +
- Sergio Souto Vidal (b. 1976), Spanish rugby union player
- Ramón Souto Caride (b. 1976), Spanish composer
- Carlos Souto (b. 1955), Argentine advertising executive
- Paulo Ganem Souto (b. 1943), Brazilian geologist and politician, Governor of Bahia from 1995 to 1999 and from 2003 to 2007
- Walder Alves Souto Amado (b. 1978), known as Ronny is a Cape Verdean footballer
- Victor Souto (b. 1993), Brazilian footballer
- David Souto (b. 1992), Venezuelan tennis player
- Rodrigo Ribeiro Souto (b. 1983), Brazilian footballer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)