The original bearer of the name Sotolongo, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain
. In Spain
, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Sotolongo family originally lived in one of the numerous towns or villages named Soto. The place-name Soto is derived from the Spanish word "soto," which refers to a "thicket" or "grove." This word is itself derived from the Latin word "saltus," which refers to a pasture land containing a forest or wood.
Early Origins of the Sotolongo family
The surname Sotolongo was first found in Castile
, in north central Spain.
Early History of the Sotolongo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sotolongo research.Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1227 and 1830 are included under the topic Early Sotolongo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sotolongo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Soto, de Soto, Desoto, Sota, de Sota, de la Sota, Desota, Sotela, Sotelo, de Sotelo, Sotera, Sotero, Sotillo and many more.
Early Notables of the Sotolongo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family Domingo de Soto, 16th century Spanish theologian and professor at the University of Salamanca; 17th century Spanish actress Catalina Sotomayor; 19th century Honduran politician Marco Aurelio Soto; 19th century Spanish military officer Raimundo María Soto; 19th... Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sotolongo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Sotolongo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sotolongo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mercedes Sotolongo, aged 9, who arrived in America, in 1915
- William Sotolongo, aged 34, who arrived in America, in 1915
- Celestino Sotolongo, aged 22, who arrived in America from Havana, Cuba, in 1916
- Salvatore Sotolongo, aged 21, who arrived in America from Havana, Cuba, in 1917
- Adelaida Sotolongo, aged 26, who arrived in America from Orense, Spain, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Sotolongo (post 1700)
- Marcelino Miyares Sotolongo, Cuban-American marketing executive and the current President of the Christian Democratic Party of Cuba
Sotolongo Family Crest Products