on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Polish Sosnowski family come from? What is the Polish Sosnowski family crest and coat of arms? When did the Sosnowski family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Sosnowski family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sosnowski, Sosnovsky, Sosnowiec, Sosnicki, Sosnick, Sosniak, Sosnak, Sosner and many more.
First found in Stanislawow, a south eastern province of Poland in the Carpathian area. There are many resorts in this beautiful province and the chief towns are Stanislawow, Stryj, Kolmyja, Kalusz and Halicz, the latter being famous for a line of Russian princes which became extinct in 1340. There are oilfields in the area, and the province is famous for its horses. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sosnowski research. Another 296 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1648 and 1825 are included under the topic Early Sosnowski History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Sosnowski Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sosnowski Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Sosnowski, who was recorded in Pennsylvania in 1831
- Alex. Sosnowski, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1896
- Anna Sosnowski, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States, in 1897
Sosnowski Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Caroline Sosnowski, aged 50, who landed in America, in 1904
- Francischek Sosnowski, aged 6, who landed in America from Przychojec, Galicia, in 1906
- Franz Sosnowski, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States from Kosmowi, Russia, in 1907
- Franz Sosnowski, aged 31, who settled in America from Wielkowo, Russia, in 1907
- David Sosnowski, aged 24, who settled in America from Minsk, Russia, in 1909
- David Sosnowski (b. 1959), American novelist and short story writer
- John Bartholomew Sosnowski (1883-1968), American politician from Michigan
- Sue Sosnowski, American politician, Member of Rhode Island State Senate, 2000
- Marc J. Sosnowski, American politician, Representative from Michigan 11th District, 2012; U.S. Taxpayers Candidate for Wayne State University Board of Governors, 2012
- John Bartholomew Sosnowski (1883-1968), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1932, 1936, 1940 (alternate), 1944; Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1940
- Kajetan Sosnowski (1913-1987), Polish abstract painter
- Oskar Sosnowski (1880-1939), Polish architect and art conservator
- Albert Dariusz Sosnowski (b. 1979), Polish professional boxer
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- White, Davis, and S. Jeanne. People of Polonia: The 1910 Census ward Two--Baltimore City Maryland, Part1. Baltimore, MD: Historyk Press, 1994. Print.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Hollowak, Thomas L. Polish Heads of Household in Maryland: An Index to the 1910 Census. Wesminister MD: Family Line Publications, 1990. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Brückner, Aleksander. etymologiczy jezyka polskiego (Etymologica Dictionary of the Polish Language). Warszaga: Wiedza Powszechra, 1970. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Co., 1964. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
The Sosnowski Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sosnowski Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2015 at 09:53.
on orders of $85 or more