Sorg History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Sorg has two possible origins. The name may be of nickname origin, deriving from the German word "sorge" meaning "sorrow." Alternatively, it may be a habitation name, referring to the town of Sorge located in Saxony. A branch of the Sorg family may have sprung from a resident of this area.
Early Origins of the Sorg family
The surname Sorg was first found in the city of Sorge, where it is believed that Heinrich Sorge, the earliest recorded bearer of the name, was living in 1296. The Sorg family was instrumental during this early period, playing an important role in the development of medieval society.
Early History of the Sorg family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sorg research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1325, 1383, 1773, 1827, 1743 and 1821 are included under the topic Early Sorg History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sorg Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Sorg, Sorge, Sörgel, and Sorghe and others.
Early Notables of the Sorg family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sorg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sorg migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Sorg Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Mattys Sorg, who landed in New York in 1709 
- Johan Michael Sorg, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753 
- Diebolt Sorg, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1753 
- Adam Sorg, who landed in Lancaster, Pennsylvania in 1755 
Sorg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christian Sorg, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854 
- Jacob Sorg, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1854 
- John Sorg, who arrived in St Clair County, Illinois in 1859 
- Henry Sorg, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1865 
- Georg Sorg, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1866 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Sorg (post 1700) +
- Paul Arthur Sorg (1878-1913), American owner and exhibitor of show horses, son of Paul Sorg
- Paul John Sorg (1840-1902), American businessman and politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio (1894-1897)
- Herbert Peter Sorg (1911-1979), American politician, 123rd Speaker of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives (1949-1952)
- Paul John Sorg (1840-1902), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1888; U.S. Representative from Ohio 3rd District, 1894-97 
- Karl G. Sorg, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Oregon 4th District, 1998 
- Herbert P. Sorg, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1948, 1952 
- Earl Sorg, American politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Minnesota, 1972 
- Oliver Sorg (b. 1990), German footballer
- Marcus Sorg (b. 1965), former German football player and manager
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 25) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html